Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help needed for Philco 49-1613

Hello, I’m new here and have many questions about rebuilding a 49-1613. I am having trouble figuring out where to start a new thread so since there has been recent activity here thought I’d ask. Please help!

Hello and welcome.

I've moved your post into a new thread of its own, here in Philco Home Radios for now. As soon as we know whether you need electronic or cabinet help (or both), we will move the thread to the appropriate section(s) of the Phorum.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Questions about work on the electronics part of the Philco radio go into the electronics section and questions about cabinet work go into the cabinet section. You can start a thread with a title something like... "Chassis questions for my Philco 49-1613" and then have all your electronics questions related to your project in one thread.

"Hello, I’m new here and have many questions about rebuilding a 49-1613."

That's a nice unit. I was expecting it to have a 5-tube electrocution hazard, ( like the  49-1600), but no,... it has a nice chassis .

Thank you all so much! My questions are electrical. This unit was my wife's grandfathers and she has tasked me with getting it working. The problem is when we brought it home I put it in the garage and before I could turn around she was plugging it in! This thing has been sitting for 20 years or more unplugged and needless to say the magic smoke rolled out a few seconds after she plugged it in. Just made my job a lot harder. I'm pretty sure the transformer is fried as it stinks bad and a brown substance started oozing out of it (wax I assume). I know there is most likely something else that caused the transformer to fry but after much research I can't locate a replacement transformer anywhere. I hate to start replacing capacitors and other components until I can find a new transformer as the whole thing is useless without it. I have searched online and have so far only found 1 replacement listed for the philco 32-8248 which is a stancor (can't remember the number) but can't find one of those either. Is there a new replacement out there of a different brand or am I done before I can even start on this restoration? Also if I can obtain a transformer where is the best place to buy the other components (capacitors, resistors, tubes etc....)? From what I gather these units are not worth much due to being post war built in 1949 but I have a feeling to my wife it is priceless just wish she would have been more patient: )

Here's a few from ptotp  http://www.oldradioparts.com/2a23efl.txt
Check these: 1012-117, 1373-141, 4522-149, 4541-357.
All of these have the proper windings and the voltage are close. Not sure about the physical size of yours and how it mounted.
You could send yours out to be rewound, your looking @ abt $100 or more.
Obtw the specs for your transformer are on pg 76 of the '49 Philco parts catalog.
 GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thank you for your reply. I’m new at this so do you possibly have any recommendations as to where to send it to? Do you know if any other company’s make one that will work like Hammond etc. Something brand new that could be ordered from a secure web site?

I did look over the Hammond products but there where several issues. Couldn't find one w/two 6v heater windings. On the hv winding when select one w/a usable voltage rating the current was abt twice what is required for the circuit. That problem it's not a death nail but it makes the physical size larger. Overall I find them rather pricey.

Edcor Has a line on new transformers and can built a new one to your specs. I did find one that is pretty close a XPWR189. Only the hv winding is a bit low. It's 290 0 290 vs your 335 0 335 https://www.edcorusa.com/xpwr189 You may be able to inquire if they can add some more turns to get you up to 335vac per side. It's a special order anyway.

There was a fella that was rewinding but he retired and sold the biz so it's in transition at this time. Operation should be back on line in a month or two.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for the info! I did find the Hammond that I believe you're talking about almost $200. Would that even be safe to use worst case scenario? I did send Edcor an e-mail to see if they can build me one to exact spec. hopefully I'll know more about that tomorrow. Meanwhile I have been searching for places that might be able to rewind the one I have, near where I live. Haven't come up with any yet.

> Would that even be safe to use worst case scenario?
Methinks it would be too big to fit the chassis and in doesn't have the 2nd 6v heater winding. No covering just solder terminal all along it. The Edcor is rated @ abt 10% more current which is a good thing and has the 2nd heater winding. It's just the HV winding is a little low in voltage. You probably could get by w/it if you got rid of the tube rectifier tube and went s/s (it has less voltage drop @ .5v, tube has roughly 50v or so).

> I have, near where I live. Haven't come up with any yet.
The one I was thinking of is up in the northeastern US.

You could give these guys a holler https://www.heyboertransformers.com/index.shtml
Some of the fellas here have used them but I think your going to be up into the $100+ range.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I must have been looking at a different Hammond. The one I was looking at had all the windings but the secondary was rated at double the voltage. 1200ct volts. Please keep in mind this is my first one and I don’t know much about them or the terms that so many are using on this and other sights. Just learning as I research so please go easy with me Icon_biggrin I’ll see what edcor says first. Thanks for the help!
https://www.hammfg.com/part/284X?referer=1052 this is the on I was looking at.