Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 20 can capacitor

ok I am working on a philco 20 I just love what I find on eBay and it has the can capacitor part number 4860. I suspect this is the wrong filter cap from what I can see it should be part number 4235 I checked the philco part CatLog for 1933 and it shows part number 4235 is for the model 20. I happen to have this part in my stash of parts and my wife says I am a hoarder. I am wondering if I should search for another chassis that is in better condition I checked with my meter the first RF it checks out good part number 3884-n. checked the second RF it has a coil open part number 3884-p. and the third one both coils are open part number 3884-p  when I checked the 1933 parts book it states the 4860 filter can is for the model 46/dc. also I was wondering is there a color code for the wires inside the can. I don't have the RF transformers in my stash so much for being a hoarder can any one help

Attached Files Image(s)

I think I have found out what going on with this chassis some one has used a filter can form a model 46 I have verified that this is a model 20 by the sticker on the chassis now I need to find the second and third RF trans formers I may be able to rewind the second transformer not sure about the third
benny

The rf coils most of the time it's the primary that open which is pretty easy to rewind. It's abt 50 turns of small magnet wire will do the trick. Phasing and # of turns isn't super critical. Something abt 32 to 38 gauge is fine. The primary is untuned the secondary is tuned is it's critical.
As for the filter I rarely check the p# as it's not unusual for them to change with different run #s. I just use the schematic. Do use mylar cap in this set not eletrolytics

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The primary on the second RF should be no problem as the secondary and primary on the third RF that I’m a little concerned about