Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I need some philco-ford knowledge,
Tongue 

I am new here so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong form,
But I found a philco-ford portable automatic phonograph, and it works pretty good.
But I have two issue's with it, 
1#. I wanted some advice on cleaning and restoring color the plastic case And cleaning the record spindle,
And 
2#. I kinda wanted to know more about this make and how it works,
and possibly the price now compaired to the release price.

Any info would be useful,
I tried looking up the details for at lest an hour and a half,
but I only could find one online (link to video below).

The model number on the bottom is:
P715

Attached Files Image(s)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a8-OmyqOjnc

Hi and welcome,
Unfortunately most of the sets we discuss here are a bit older. I took a look and didn't much about it either. Could be that is unit was a low end piece that in the 70's in wasn't worth fixing or if you took it to a shop the tech had seen so many phonos that it was a rudimentary job to service it for someone that did it everyday.
Sorry can be much help.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Welcome to the phorum!
Icon_wave

Welcome,

If you want to get the color back on most modern plastics there is a formula of common household chemistry that does the job...

Search Google: [How to get the color back on ABS plastic]

I searched your other YouTube posts to see what else your doing... Interesting...

Electronics has a finite life because of mostly capacitor deterioration. Basically, after 5 years, depending more or less on the price-point of the product, the capacitors are beginning to fail or have. Surely this has been seen in computer mother boards and displays. But, it happens to all electronic products using electrolytic capacitors.

Capacitors will degrade performance by electrically leaking and shifting voltage values on active devices to the point where there is distortion, noise or failure.

One point to stress is that wholesale change-out of capacitors should not be undertaken without some consideration overall. Occasionally a device will refuse to work because the wrong caps or poor work was done.

I see in the vid that you may have the Sam's for one of the phonos, good. That is a start at least for the phono that does not sound well.

I understand that the end run of phonos have become more collectible but much more so being placed into use. There is some support out there for VM turntables as well as folks "rebuilding" the phono drive idler wheels and the reproduction cartridges. All can be found with a Google Search. If not Google. then Duck Duck Go...

YMMV

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

I looked it up in Sam's but there was no listing for that particular model. I don't have any from that era to see if there was a similar unit.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thank you all so much for the reply's,
(I did not expect so many people)
I will try you guy's suggestions for the color restore.

Also I know now it's just a cheap model,
But I will still be doing mini fixes on it, as I find that sorta thing fun.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!