Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Early 16B tombstone

So Have been busy sanding and stripping the cabinet. I think the cabinet had been stained whatever was on the didn't really come off much but was able to give it a rub down in mek and then sand. The edge of the repair piece need a little adjustment, the edge had a bit of an overhang but some 60G paper and a sanding block made quick work of that and it's difficult to tell from the other side. Resanded w/320G to sand out fine scratches. Will spray the lt side and top tonight and glue sometime later this week.

Was wondering what grille cloth to use? It has chevron patterned cloth in it now but not sure if it's correct.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The 16B cabinet's top is back together.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Looking good Terry!

Tnx!
I'm going to try to give it a coat of toner tomorrow. It's going to be a nice day but not that warm abt 50 deg or so. The other cabinet gives me a good idea what the original toning looks like. I did notice the company I get Mohawk supplies from lists sanding sealer as a lacquer finish rather than sanding sealer. I was surprised I could have sworn it was listed as ss before, it has been a year or two since my last order. Rattle cans have gone up to $6.15 a can.

The Philco 16B2 has a hole thru the front panel (for a tuning shaft) but it has a nice worn patina. It has a decal from Sherman Clay & Co. It was a west coast based (SF) piano company starting out in the 1870. During the '30s they supplemented there sales by offering radios. Have seen a picture of their showroom w/ a display of late '20s /early '30s RCA sets.  As time marched on they branch to a number of stores throughout the US. By 2013 the company is owned by Sherman Clay Group a diverse company involved in real estate management and consumer finance. Anyway I digress...

I'm thinking I might try adding some lacquer over the panel to see if I can save the patina. I'll start another thread on this set after I get number one done.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

It's getting DDDDAAAAARRRRRKKKKKKEEEEEERRRRRRR!
BUT I'm not sure that I'm crazy about it... There are many imperfections in the wood some from the original manufacture and others from 86yrs of being uses and abuse. I thinking a sanding and a coat (or two) of grain filler are in order(bah humbug!!) for the front and sides. The top is passable.
I have been using Mohawk extra dark walnut toner but it very red where the original is more yellow/brown. Going to give the van dyke brown a try on paper it seems to be a little more yellow.

Still a vast improvement over what I started with

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Looking good, Terry, don't overdo it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I think I solved one mystery not that it helps the problem but I think I know it the why. [Image: https://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/sm..._think.gif] Was talking w/Oldrestorer on the phone lamenting about what a pain using grain filler is. The timing is somewhat critical not enough it wipes right off too much it hardened and sanding or oms is about the only way the level it. I put a coat on about 7pm and thought should be ready in the morning (in the ut vid that said 8hrs but I know better). Got up 8am and checked it still was not quite ready. By 1pm it was ready and came off fine. Still messy, stinky, and difficult to get out of tight curves. Any way I digress back to the mystery part the reason for exercise in grain filling is because the person that striped it used a metal paint scraper to remove the old finish and gouged the heck out of it.[Image: https://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/sm...n_evil.gif]  As it sits now it's got one coat of filler which filled most of gouges abt 60% for I'm thinking two more coats to level it out the rest of the way. Mid week before any more sealer/toner. Don't want any hazy spots!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Time for an update.
Front panel is done. Still have double check the top and sides before spraying the clear coat. The dark almost looks black but after removing the dial escutcheon from the 2nd cabinet it's really dark under there. I started with extra dark walnut but it looked (to me ) too red. I switch over the van dyke and that's what's you are seeing. Woodworking for me is an exersize in patience. Gluing, grain filling, and lacquering don't necessarily abide to a speed limit other than SLOW. Here's a B4 & After:

[Image: https://philcoradio.com/phorum/attachment.php?aid=19874]

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Looking very nice Terry!
Icon_clap Icon_clap

Tnx!
I was reading over on ARF abt a fella that bought a 16B and had refinished it neglecting to paint the pinstripes. I mention it and LarryAD had a clever way the color them. I would have used a teeny art brush and made a mess of it. Using syringe works great!
https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop...1&t=376926

Sam the original poster lives near the Mohawk factory and offers to make available their products at cost + actual shipping. This is noted in a post in this thread.

After matching the color to the other cabinet it ended up being a brownish color.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Beautiful!

Terry, are you still looking for tuning mechanism bits?

Cheers

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Indeed I am sir.

Tnx for asking.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

OK, I'll restart this again by PM once I find the box 'o bits.

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Terry,
The chevron cloth is correct...and it appears yours uses the green chevron, which unfortunately isn't reproduced anymore. I have a couple 16 sets that use the green; the rest have the "gold" chevron.

Tnx for your input Brad,

I saw online a bunch of different cloths being used most of which I knew were not anything close to the original. I think this one maybe original but it's not being reproduced. http://www.tuberadioland.com/images/philco16b_i_7.jpg  The dark one in my set is a replacement but I'm going to tighten it up a little and use it. Have some of the later chevron style use in the '36 and '37 or so models. Neither the dark or the newer style are a dead on match.

Only a couple more coats of lacquer and it's going all back together! Can let it cure for a good while before a buffing ans wax. It will be nice to be able to sit back and enjoy it. Darn thing takes up a lot of space when it's in 100 pieces!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry