Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 46-380

My wife surprised me with a Philco 46-380 radio. This is my first console and I absolutely love it!
I hope someone will be able to help me with antenna connections. There are 3 connectors on rear of the chassis and only 2 leads coming from the rotating
antenna contained in the cabinet; one is black and one is white. What is the correct connection for these leads for the best reception?
This radio has modern FM and there is another socket to the right of the 3 screw connectors which has a black and white wire, each about 18" long. If I move them around the FM signal is stronger, but it seems like there should be a better way to receive FM - any ideas here for better FM reception?
This is my first visit to the forum and I've already found a lot of helpful information. I realize this is probably a rudimentary question but I hope you can help me.

Here's a schematic for a 46-480 that I believe will show your antenna connections:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013602.pdf

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

rgensemer Wrote:If I move them around the FM signal is stronger, but it seems like there should be a better way to receive FM - any ideas here for better FM reception?.

An outdoor antenna would be best but you could use a set of regular old rabbit ears in place of the built-in dipole. At least that would allow some tweaking for best direction.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm glad I found and joined the forum. I also own another Philco, model 46-427, but the rest of my collection are Zenith, Atwater Kent, Grundig, Spartan, and Crosley and for now they're all working.