Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Paul's 16B

B is for Big, B is for Burly, B is for Bad back......................

Well my Philco collection is growing and I got a shot at a desirable Philco and took it. A fellow NEVEC member gave me a good price and because he had a lot of projects and a minimal desire to work on a real heavy set I made out well.

So I know the cloth is not original, the knobs and escutcheon have been painted, so where do we go, the cabinet is in pretty good physical shape. So I will be rhetorical, if this was your find what would you do? Some I am sure will settle for a purely factory look and others not so much. How would you remove paint off bakelite knobs?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92577012@N...1491172653

Appreciate the thoughts, the electrics are a whole other story..................... Icon_evil

Paul

Tubetalk1

Great find! Never had to strip knobs

I've used CitriStrip to remove paint from bakelite and it worked fine.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Well it would be a question of the solvent that will remove the paint and not damage the underlying bakelite.I would try it on the escutcheon firstas I think that is easier to replace then the knobs.
 I tried mineral spirits on heavily painted knobs with limited success it was very slow and tedious.Goof Off is supposed to remove paint but I did not try it and I still have the Silvertone knobs . No radio so put aside for now. I had tried rubbing with a paper towels soaked with mineral spirits.  
  Soaking the in spirits might work better.
 Grill cloth is easy there is a lot to choose from and likely something close to an original match is out there.
  If the cabinet is not your thing I think there is someone in the club that does cabinet work and given the condition maybe it might be cheap enough to go that route.
  Russ/radio alfalfa ( spelling?) might suggest who did his RCA 10T.
                                                     GL
                                                              Henry

The citrus stuff maybe good first try i think it is milder. Thanks for the feedback.  i know a good man for the cabinet but I would not want to ship this to Texas. Maybe.........

Paul

Tubetalk1