Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38, 38 A, 38 B

"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOM5N3omefI   "

Aaaaah ...cool beans !!!!   Thanks Terry.

Pls reread as I edited it. Also bear in mind that the vid is ten yrs old.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

"Imho I think if was building these batteries I'd use aa cells for the bias volts as the current is very low. 9v batteries for the hv is going to be short lived and using two D cell two supply the filament voltage is going to be very short lived. Granted he didn't have the set to try it out on (customer had it). "

Yes Terry....if I had to set out to build one of these myself, the first motivation I'd apply , was to use as large a battery as I could, to add up to the proper voltages,   all the while,  bearing in mind the constraints of the size of the radio. I see that that BC battery is quite large.

Do I understand correctly that they still set inside the cathedrals, on a shelf above the chassis?

>Do I understand correctly that they still set inside the cathedrals, on a shelf above the chassis?

No The set has a 3 or 4' cord that plugs into the battery pack and the pack is place somewhere else but not inside the cabinet. The chassis is going to be something simular to a model 60 - the power transformer so there is very little room inside the cabinet. The 38 doesn't use a field coil to provide the need magnatizum for the spkr but the spkr does have a large pm on it's back side reducing the inside space even more.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yes sir.    Thanks.

If you have the choice try to get the code 123 it has a better mixer. The older sets use a #15 tube as an audodyne mixer where the code 123  has a 1A6 pentagrid mixer. Better gain and less finicky. There seem to be several service bulletins for the audodyne circuit. The library has the diagram for both.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philco-Cathedra...Sws7Fca1s4

Cabinet nice, but me-thinks too much money for a scavenged radio without a speaker and one knob wrong.