Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

crosley barn radio

Sure reminds me of a barn or a chicken coupe with all the red  Icon_lol . Not sure to leave it alone or refinish it but that god awful grill cloth has to go.
all the coils and transformers check out including the speaker it needs the usual caps and resistors changed. According to the radio shop labels on the tubes the set is from St louis MO.
For your viewing pleasure.

Ha! I knew there was more than one red radio...

In the mid 70's I picked up a Malone-Lemon sloping panel Neutrodyne battery set. Painted this Chinese red over the entire exterior, the panel knobs, escuteon, except to a 10" rectangle across the top lid. That, must have been where the speaker sat...

The cabinet was solid walnut so it was a good candidate for strip and refinish. So it was, in ebony water stain and cabinet rubbing varnish. Knobs and panel were Bakelite so they were impervious to methylene chloride stripper. Chassis only needed a cold solder joint, repaired and worked like a dream I still have the radio...

So Jake give the stripper a try, with any luck the old finish is still under the red paint and the red should release clean from cabinet.

GL

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Just call it The Electric Chicken Coupe

" . . . god awful grill cloth, . . . "

Not that bad.

it is soaking in savogran semi gel stripper but it is really on there im having to use a scraper because there is 2-3 layers of paint.

I guess that's where the 124 chassis you're working on came from?  At least it has all three original knobs....

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Yes this is it i believe it has seen a lot of use most of the resistors have been changed all of the old caps are replacements and most of the tubes are borderline weak. The cabinet is coming along ordinary paint stripper wouldn't touch the paint so i had to use acetone and over cleaner sure it is harsh but the paint cornered me.

Well the red is gone, the finish underneath is the original lacquer. That should come off with lacquer thinner. Again, put the radio in a seal-able container and forget it for few hours. Tighter the seal the better.

Avoid the scrapper. Edges of the scrapper will compress the wood, when the stain is applied these compressed wood fibers will not be as dark. If that happens the cabinet will have to be thoroughly sanded to get to fresh meat... Veneer may not hold up!

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Looking GoooooD!

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

The grill cloth might look pretty good with the cabinet at it's original color.  Think about it before you throw it out.

I plan to use dark walnut stain to help hide imperfections in the wood.

That light color grill cloth may just be the color contrast to set off the dark walnut.  Give it a try.