Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for a good stripper.

Gotcha! 
i'm searching for a strong paint stripper that works on multiple layers of paint i currently have savogran stripeeze gel and i am not satisfied by how slow and weak it is. What would be your suggestion  Icon_question .

The red light district of any large city.

Icon_redface Icon_silent

Menards still carried Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover as of last year. It is still listed on their website:

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/solve...68&ipos=16

I used it on some cabinets last year, and was very pleased with it.

Retailers are under pressure to stop selling the stuff that actually works because idiots are dying from using methylene chloride strippers indoors in unventilated areas. Methylene chloride paint stripper should ALWAYS be used OUTDOORS!!! Do people no longer have any common sense? Icon_rolleyes

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Right Ron, only you can't find it at Lowes or (I think) Home Depot. So don't even look there.

I suspect that it will be gone soon since the big vendors are not carrying it anymore.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I don't know about that either, Ron.  Flew out to Amsterdam a few years ago and meandered through the red light district - with my wife of course!  There were  none to be found... the ladies were on strike while we were there!  Guess I'll just have to go back!!!  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Jake, it looks like the closest Menards to you is in Owensboro, KY...and they still stock Jasco stripper.

I think I should go there and buy another can in case the stuff does get banned...It costs more than it did last year (now $39.97) but worth every penny if you want a good, fast acting stripper that actually works.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Sterling 5f5 paint remover...

Zip-Strip Contractors grade. Zip has different formulations, look.

Tru-value has these and others also some Mom & Pop hardware stores...

Avoid ordering, has to be sent by surface freight as hazardous $$$.

Find a seal-able plastic or metal container to place the item in. If the stripper is left to open air the good stuff will all evaporate before it works.

Yes, sometimes a second coating of stripper has to be used...

There used to be a stripper package for home renovations to remove up to 10 layers of paint. It had a gauze backing material that was worked into the stripper. Peel-Away? It still could not do the job with lead paint. The lead was soaked into the wood and could be detected...

Also, I use heavy solvent safe rubber gloves in which I hold wads of wood shavings, like for animal bedding to scrub the surface. The shavings do a double job, scrape up the softened finish and gather the waste stripper. Making disposal of the waste easy, allow the shavings to thoroughly dry so all meth is gone. Place in paper bag and into Chiminea or with garbage collection. This way no tool marks in the soft wood and stripper goop removed from fine carvings...

The bits of wood dust will fall off the cabinet during a wiping with a light solvent like acetone. All the wood filler will be pulled out too...

Be safe!

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Thanks for all the help guys i have been using straight acetone to dissolve the paint something is working because the stripper isn't doing a !@#$% thing.

Find a nearest go-go bar.....

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The best paint remover I have used was called "Multi Strip Pro". It's biodegradeable, water soluble and washable, and if it happens to dry out on the wood by accident it can be rejuvenated with a bit of water.

Well, Ron basically beat me to my joke! Icon_biggrin

No matter where you go, there you are.

I'm kinda scratching my head at some of these responses.   Icon_mad

A link to Multi Strip : http://www.dtep-archive.com/multi-strip.htm

I've used "Zar" brand. Available at the Mom and Pop hardware store downtown.

Real Cave man stuff....Zar!