Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37/38 dial ring finish

I am restoring both a 38-89 and a 37-610 (not at the same time but since the dials are the same I figure I should do both dial rings together). Both dial rings need refinishing and I have a question about the original finish. The dials appear to be copper or brass metal with a painted outside black ring area. Here is a comparison photo of both rings (the 37 is on the left):

http://demandred.dyndns.org/540i/gallery...ngs?full=1

The question I have is about the inner ring area which appears to be a gold/brass color on the 38-89 and copper color on the 37-610. If I polish the ring the color will turn the same as the base metal which also appears to be more a copper color on the 37. Is there is difference in color between 37 and 38 and what color was the finish when new? Should I strip the rings completely and paint the inner ring area with gold or copper paint or polish it and put a clear coat on it.

I hope I am not getting too nit picky with these details?

Thanks,

Steve D

I've never actually noticed a difference but I don't recall ever having two side by side.

Maybe you could try going to the back side with a little piece of steel wool and see if they shine up to the same base color? It would be interesting to know if they are in fact different.

Those look to be in good shape so I wouldn't strip them. You can use a nibble of steel wool to clean up the 'bare' part. I see you're a car guy so you might prefer a corner torn off of a 3M sponge pad. They are easier to manage. Personally, I wouldn't overspray it...I'd let it age naturally.

-Bill

Exray is much more experienced in this than me, so would follow his advice.

Just as a reference, I've had good results on the "bare" metal restoration using mineral spirits and a small, brass-bristled brush. The brass won't harm the metal and cleans really well with the mineral spirits. If was me, I'd mask off the rest and clean this way, wipe off and then spray lacquer the bare metal with clear lacquer.

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."