Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-265 Questions

Hello,

I just picked up a 41-265 console last weekend. I was electronically restored a couple few years ago by a good friend who is my go-to guy for radio repairs when I get stuck. He restored this for a customer who has since passed away, so his wife called him to find a new home. He in turn called me and offered it a at a price I couldn't turn down. As I go through it I'm noticing a few things that aren't quite right. First the rubber corners are well past their prime, so I have new ones on the way. When I have the chassis out, I'd like to address a couple of other issues. First the pointer moves in reverse of the dial scale. 99% sure the string is backwards on the tuning cap. Is there anything else this could be? It'll be my first time restringing a radio. Can't be too hard right? The other issue is the power switch. It only powers on every third push. I scouring the interweb I found a mention of a 41-245 with this same issue. It turns on every third push and always on the third push. Is this a strange factory option or is there a fair chance it is just a "close enough" multiple position push button replacement. The power button also does not stick out as far a the other buttons, so I'm leaning towards replacement at some point. I'm not into this radio for much, so I'd love to get whatever parts it may need to get it playing again reliably. My wife likes it enough that she let me keep it in the house after I pressed my son into service sneaking it upstairs while she was in the yard. Icon_smile Thanks for any help

Karl

I have seen a couple of sets where the cord was installed so it tuned backwards. The tuning cap should be open @ the high end of the dial and closed @ the low end to tune properly. As for off/on issue the '40-'42 higher end sets used the pushbutton off/on switch and it's not uncommon for the switch to get gummed up or the contacts the fail requiring replacement. If you hear any sizzling or arcing it's about done for. I would try some contact cleaner on it. Make sure the cleaner has evaporated before trying use it else it could catch fire [Image: https://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/sm...wisted.gif] Replacement of the switch is a bit tricky so give it a good clean and see if that does the trick. https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=17076 See post 7. Or https://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showt...php?tid=89

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Sounds good. Is there a good way to get deoxit in to these switches? I’ll drill a tiny hole if I have to but if there is another trick I’m all ears. No arcing or sizzling, so cleaning may be the answer.

Don't know the last ones I did cleaning wasn't going to help at all.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry