Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ZENITH 6-S-229 REPAIR

This Zenith was the purchase I made in the last Kutztown, 30 minutes before I left.
An impulse buy.

I showed the image in one of the general threads.

So today I put it on the bench and looked inside.
The radio has been previously restored.

I cannot say anything bad, the soldering is good and the parts are good too.
But no re-stuffing, and the electrolytics were not salvaged, even if only for looks which is what I would prefer.

The reason I opened it up is the tuning mechanism does not rotate; according to the seller it froze.
Well, upon opening I realized it did not freeze: it is exact same problem I had this winter with my dad's Westinghouse I restored 7 years ago: the belt simply assumed a narrow oval shape.

Now that I opened it up, I will clean the tuning cap, the glass, order and replace the belt and should it work, give it an alignment.

Now off to ordering the belt.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Fine looking set, I bet she sounds good when done, sometimes nice to not have to do everything. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

Paul

I hope it does. Zeniths in my experience do have good sounds.
I might be able to power it this weekend, the belt is not necessary for it.

Yes, every once in a while it is nice to not have to do the whole thing. Especially if it needs not to be redone.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Metal tubes, check carefully the #1 socket pin may be live or missing thus the shell can pickup stray voltage.

DIVERTED (Diver Ted) has acquired Adams belt works you can find is ad on ARF.

https://www.qualityradiobelts.com/index.html

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Mike, as you know I am sure one of the issues in this hobby is finding sets never worked on or at last worked on by a "real" repairman of old. 
Many poorly "restored" sets can be maddening, having to fix somebodies sins is a drag. Bad enough having to fix your own goof ups! Icon_mad

I have heard that fellow who took over for Adams has a good product.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Paul, Chas,

I ordered from him via eBay yesterday.

Yes will check the metal tubes. I will be checking everything.

Today the belt came, got installed and the mechanism seems to function fine.Tomorrow I will try to test the tubes and to power up.

You might want to replace those translucent dial light shields, they keep the black dial from getting scorch marks.  You can make a new pair from a window blind slat or a milk jug.  Since you have the originals you can use them as a template.

Mark Oppat makes the ones he sells from window blind slats.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John

Possible, but they are in one piece and look OK.
Actually the whole thing is surprisingly clean (the previous restoration likely did not touch the tuning assembly).

Next time you have a rubber belt that's stretched, try this. Put the belt in boiling water for 30 seconds or so. It will return to its original shape and be useable again. Icon_thumbup

I read this over on audiokarma and it works!

How long it will last, I don't know.

Ed,

Possible it might work. As you said, not clear for how long. Spending $8 to make sure I won't have to do the full disassembly (which is what is required to change the belt) again in the nearest 8 years is a small price to pay.
This is not a stretched rubber belt; it is rubber-impregnated belt that froze into an oval shape due to long period of disuse.

Quote:Possible, but they are in one piece and look OK.
In the picture it looked like they might have been scorched or cracked, but pictures can be deceiving and that might be dirt I was seeing.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John

They are a bit. But I have just powered it up and the illumination looks just fine.

Anyhow.
I have just tested the tubes (all strong) and powered it up. Fist I head a light pop.
I gave it a look, all was fine. So I think it was a dirt igniting in the power switch as before the meter across the plug showed 40 ohms and after only 12.
I powered it again, and it sang loud and clear, I tried two bands and no antenna, there is activity on SW and the local station is very loud.
The volume pot needs some TLC, I took the Trolmaster to it. Also the switch snap is not as snappy. Though works.
Needs cleaning, the band switch also does.

What else..... alignment is in order.

Today....the scratchiness of the vol pot is almost gone, it is a dull rubbing sound and not too bad. And....the click of the power switch became nice, loud and tactile.
So.....the pot will be left alone.

Aligned the radio. The IF was spot on but weak, due to at least one filter being aligned. The alignment made it way stronger.
Then the bands and - voila - it is quite active, even police band has three or so stations, two of them in Spanish.
BC has lots of activity with me for the antenna.

And...these Z speakers are something.
This one is small, but out on the bench it makes the whole tabletop vibrate. Booming! Can only imagine what it will sound like when back in the cabinet.

Tomorrow I will put it all back together.

Gosh, the sound of that thing. I thnk it's a 6" speaker.
The sound is just sooo good! I didn't expect it out of this size box/speaker combo.

Alas, had to take it back to basement: my wife doesn't like old radios. Despite my having pointed out there are many things that I don't like, like the magnets on the fridge and overall decorum of our house. 
The sacrifices we make for love! Icon_smile

I hope this concludes this chapter.
PS. My tablet is not friendly to picture editing; when on computer I will rotate the image.