Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-84 case

Hi all,
I just received a 40-84 and the case is very dirty. My question is what is the best way to clean it and also is the case lacquer coated?
Thanks,
Richard

I don't know that particular model number but i think its safe to say that on a 1940 model that its lacquer. Soapy wet rag works fine for cleaning. Rinse off with a damp rag. Don't 'wet' the cabinet and I'm sure it will come out fine.

Thanks for the reply. It is the portable a/c, d/c model. It looks like a tweed suit case. I just want to clean it with out damaging the material. Also I t looks like the tweed is protected by lacquer or something.

Richard

rjm Wrote:It looks like a tweed suit case. I just want to clean it with out damaging the material.

Okay, same advice applies.

Good luck with the project.

-Bill

Well I have tried soap and water, Polish and even brasso and no luck. I am thinking whatever they used to coat it is what's changing the color to look like its dirty.
Any other suggestions?
Has anyone come across this? Any help would be appreciated.

Richard

rjm,

Please post a pic of it. We'll be able to help more with a clear visual.

Thanks,

Joe

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

Thanks for the reply,
Here are three pics. The one from the side shows how dirty it is. The pics make it cleaner than it is.

Richard

I had a similar case a few years ago, it wasn't a Philco though. On that one it was a woven material and the protective coating was dirty and stained. Very carefully I tried various solvents in an inconspicious spot and found that I could blot off the coating to the fabric with alcohol. I did that, and got to a reasonable stage, and harvested a strip of the material from inside the case to mend a couple of worn and torn spots. Then I sprayed the thing with orange shellac, and it looked 100% better, although not 100% perfect.

Thanks,
I will try the alcohol and see what happens. I got lucky that the only damage is in the corner and it is relatively small.

You used orange shellac not lacquer? I thought they left behind shellac and was using laquer for everything by this time.

Richard

Hi Richard,

That's a pretty neat looking case, I haven't seen one before -- but am familiar with that type material. I agree with codefox on the alcohol. But, if that doesn't work, I would personally use mineral spirits and a medium bristled brush. Of course, try on an inconspicuous spot first, but this is what I use in most cases on similary projects. I find the brush will more thoroughly and safely clean the textured surface than anything that rubs across the peaks of that textured surface. Anyway, just my .02 worth. Hope that helps.

Joe

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

Thanks for the response. I tried the alcohol and it did remove a little. I will try your advise on the mineral spirits. The brush is it better natural or synthetic bristles?

Richard

Does not matter, as long as the solvent does not dissolve the brush. The most dreadful last measures are all outdoors, and include gasoline, acetone (nail polish remover) and finally bleach. All in tiny measures, and blotted quickly. In the end the gray color scale will count more than the actual hue. An antique appearance is what we want here, that's why I used an orange shellac on the one I did. And you can fool around all you want with oil stains and let it dry a week before you coat it, and you'll be OK. Have fun!