Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The fun has began.

I got the 50A on the bench and the weight is insane with that anchor for a transformer i currently got the bypass can gutted and the wiring tagged. I am waiting for parts to come in the mail i did jump in new electrolytics earlier and it played but weakly and distorted but it is a start. Notice how large the transformer is  Icon_eek .

Yeah....them 50s with the xfmrs down under. One more reason to be happy about extra large xfmr: being under is an additional thermal stress.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Should run cool as ice when it is all repaired.

I rebuilt the bakelite blocks which was a breeze only needing a hair dryer and a stiff wire i didn't refill the blocks with anything though a few blocks had broken terminal lugs which is to be expected.

The bypass can or filter condenser can as Philco calls it i bundled the caps together with a zip tie twisted the grounded end to where it forms a solid mechanical connection and soldered it together. The zip tie acted like a spacer giving it a tight yet snug fit inside the can.

I reused the old leads since they where still good i stripped and formed a tight mechanical connection and soldered them to the new components and used heat shrink tubing to tidy them and to keep from developing any shorts.

I ordered a replacement grill cloth and some wire to replace the old speaker harness but for now it is done i plan to do a light clean up on the cabinet but no restoration on that since it is in really nice original condition. Here is a video of it back together and playing the local line up of stations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81DLlegyUM0

Sounds very fine, nice. Icon_clap

Paul

Tubetalk1

Philco did use large conservatively rated transformers. You don't often find a bad one.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81DLlegyUM0"

Thanks for the video....nice demo!  Nice work!