Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 84 transformer- model 52 transformer

Will a model 84(part# 5266) transformer work in a model 52 (part #32-7180)  thanks,carl

No wrong heater voltage.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I also suspect it is a smaller transformer.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Any substitutes you can suggest???? Thanks carl

Is this a USA model 52 or a Canadian model 52? Big difference.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yeah...about 4 pounds of difference Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

No, no, Mike.

The USA model 52 is a 1932 model and was available in table model, cathedral and console versions (plus a low production, undocumented grandfather clock version).

The Canadian 52AF is a 1942 model and was only available in console form.

To further confuse things, Philco Canada also produced a 52-A in 1932, apparently only as a lowboy console, with basically the same chassis as the USA model 52.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Them Canadians.

But was the 1932 radio 25Hz...oops....cycles per cecond?

The 52-A models were. A model designated simply "52" (not 52-A) would have been designed for 60 cycles. There were some Philcos produced in Canada which were made for 60 cycle AC, but 25 cycle AC sets seem to have been the majority for Canadian-built Philcos prior to WWII.

And starting in 1939, Philco of Canada completely revamped their model numbering scheme, so some late prewar as well as postwar models sometimes reused model numbers of prewar USA Philcos, causing great confusion today.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

ron,it is an American model, from the Hartford ct area.are there any under chassis photos available.i will forward a photo of mine. thanks,carl

The issue you have is that you need a transformer that has a 2.5v filament winding to power most of the tubes on this chassis. By late '32 and onward manufactures were using up their older 2.5v tube and started in on using the new 6.3v tubes. These were more compatible with auto applications and other battery powered uses.
The transformers w/a 2.5v winding are still available but are some what limited and expensive. Some folks will retube the chassis w/6v tubes and use a 6v transformer but on your set there isn't a simple replacement for the 47 tube. It would require a socket change to a 6 pin socket and a 42 tube.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

As for substitutes, if you can obtain a known good one, a power transformer from a model 50 or 51 will work as a substitute.

The problem here is that these power transformers, having been mounted under the chassis, were subject to higher temperatures in an enclosed space and therefore have a higher failure rate.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Will a 20 xfmr do? It drives as many 2.5V tubes.
Don't know about the B+.

Electrically I think it would but physically my best recollection is that it's taller and narrower so don't know if it could fit under the chassis.
It's abt 5 1/2 tall x 3 3/4" wide.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

What is a 20 xfmr???