Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-160 original color

Hi ,just picked up a 40-160 that somebody had started to refinish the cabinet,they stripped it all down and stopped,can somebody tell me what is the original stain color?,what is the best way to refinish?,as i have never redone a cabinet i dont want to mess it up,thanks Icon_rolleyes Randy

Hi

Stains were never used on Philco cabinets, the original finish was lacquer - tinted lacquer followed by clear.

Tinted lacquer is available today; it is called toning lacquer. Two common brands are Mohawk (generally only available through mail order) and Behlens (sold at Woodcraft stores).

The cabinet is medium walnut overall. I do not have a good picture of one of these with an excellent original finish, so I have to guess here: It looks like Perfect Brown may have been used on the grillebars, the trim at the top of the grille, and bottom trim. Just a bit darker than the medium walnut, not a lot.

If someone here has an excellent original, feel free to chime in and correct me if needed. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,i have a few more questions,I have been reading about toning laquer and is the radio supposed to look like a piano finish when done?,deep glossy,smooth, also is the toning laquer sprayed on from a can? thats what i keep coming up with,toning laquer,mulitple coats till you get the color you want ,rub it out and spray the clear laquer to seal,and do i apply the water slide decals before the toning laquer and spray over them,or apply decals before the clear coat and after the toning laquer? Icon_confused Thanks for your help Randy

When these sets were built, they did not receive several coats of lacquer; only a few.

To duplicate the original factory finish, wood grain filler should be used first to fill the pores of the wood. It should be either the same color as the toned finish, or a clear grain sealer such as Crystalac Sanding Sealer. Do not use the neutral color wood putties!

Then spray on just enough toning lacquer to achieve the desired color, without using too many coats. If you are using a pigment type of toner, too many coats will hide the grain of the wood, giving it a painted look that is undesirable.

After the cabinet is toned and dry, then apply your decals. Don't apply the decals before the toner - the toner will partially obscure the decals.

Finish up with a few coats of clear lacquer.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN