Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Realistic DX-302 - MHz will not change

Now having a new longwire antenna for the first time at this house, I decided this evening to pull my Realistic DX-302 off the shelf and try out both radio and longwire.

I was amazed to find that on the 1.000-1.999 MHz band, that I was picking up an AM station every 10 kc! And this was about 6:30 pm EDT, with the sun still out.

Unfortunately, when I went to change the MHz switch (the collar surrounding the tuning knob), the collar only turned and "clicked" - the MHz would not change.

I have seen online that a nylon gear is prone to breakage, but have found nothing as far as how to fix it.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ide cruise youtube... I know they have a topic on how to modify the audio circuit for better sound. Perhaps theres a video to conquer a collar fix there..

I have one of these units, theyre pretty cool.. Icon_biggrin

Steve

This is a fairly common problem with this model, and results from their using cheap nylon gears instead of brass. I remember reading about this problem before. When you open up the front you will see the gears that are driven from the larger knob. The one that usually breaks can be replaced with a gear that is available from hobby shops that deal in RC race cars. Here is a link to a Hamnet page that covers this. https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1936

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, unless I missed it, the eham.net link does not give any details about a possible replacement gear other than "found at R/C hobby shops". That's like me telling someone looking for O-rings for their Philco model 16 or 44 to "look in a hardware store".

I did join a Yahoo group which specializes in the DX-302 and other Realistic SW receivers, so I hope to find some answers there.

I do appreciate the input from both of you. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I went to that link myself, Very informative..

The radio would drift a bit and i though something was wrong... Turns out im SUPPOSED to let it warm for 30 min.. WHO KNEW??.... Me now Icon_biggrin

Steve

Ron, I think the easiest, and maybe fastest way to get this thing fixed, would be to remove the problem gear, and take it with you to some RC car hobby shops, and see if they can find something that matches diameter and teeth. That seems to be what others have done. Remember, this is not rocket science, nor is it museum restoration. From what I have read, you may have to do some modification of the shaft part of the gear to make it fit right, but, at least you will have a radio that works.