Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

53-658 selenium rectifier replacement questions

Hi guys -

Picked up a clean 53-658 a few weeks and started on it yesterday.  It's all original and clean under the chassis. 
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/do...013774.pdf

It does not power up on AC and does not register any volts on my amp meter.  Tubes test good.  Am I correct that the likely culprit is the selenium rectifier?  I haven't replaced one of these yet and could use some guidance.

This article suggest installing a terminal strip with 1N4004 diode and resistor between 20 and 200 ohms.  Outside of starting with a 100 ohm resistor and repeatedly measuring, is there a known resistor value I should use?
http://www.w3hwj.com/index_files/RBSelenium2.pdf

Thanks,
Paul

Measure the AC voltage from the anode of the selenium to the - side of the filter caps (B-) should see 120vac or so. If not check the off on switch. If that checks out then measure the DC voltage from the cathode of the selenium to B-. Should see abt 100vdc. If not then the selenium is bad.

Gezz that an awful schematic.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Terry. Appreciate your help.

Yes, the schematic is tough on the eyes, even printed on 11x17. Photofact is on it's way.

Paul

Beitmans

Tnx David,
Both Riders I looked up were pretty poor. Forgot abt Beitmans.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

There were a few discrepancies between the schematics but the culprit was the a bad volume pot.

Paul