Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

which one???

i realize that this is as controversial of a question as like asking which is the best ice cream flavor but here goes. of all the philco cathedrals of the 30's which one sounds the best? and has decent performance?

It's chocolate !   Icon_lol

i would have thought that selectivity would be better with french vanilla

" . . . selectivity would be better, . . . "   Icon_lol

On a more serious note, is there a specific reason why you are ruling out the tombstones? Icon_question
Ron Ramirez said of the 16B recently : "It isn't perfect, but it is still a great price for the best cathedral radio Philco ever made."

+1 Ron
But if you don't mind having a tombstone the early '36 116B is the one to get. The 10 1/2" H spkr can handle the 10w output stage a little better that the 8" K spkr. It looks like the design is a work in progress on the 16B code 121 ('33 cathedral) as there a lot of updates in the service notes. The later runs of the 16B and the 116B have a much more effective tone control circuit than the code 121 (the '33 cathedral) pretty much just cuts the high frequency response from the audio.
On the rf/if side of things the later runs have a rf amp where the code 121 has the qave circuit. The alignment on the later runs is more straight forward and helps to make the set more accurate.

GL on your search!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

My answer was from the point of view of cathedral radios. Terry is correct that the early 116B is the mack daddy of all prewar Philco table model radios (excluding some immediate prewar Tropic models which are extremely rare). But the 116B is a tombstone, not a cathedral.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

BUTTER PECAN, or don't put it in front of me!!! Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

thanks for your replies. i just think cathedrals are better looking than tombstones, but what matter's most to me is how they perform. most seller's dont or wont ship here in any case so it might be an exercise in futility. one last question the 84b up and running but not aligned. i get a signal generator hopefully on monday. its another national vp-8177a. im not exactly sure whats the best way to connect to the set. is the .0001 mica still the best way?

That 84 is my favorite of the cathedrals.  Wish my 89 were an 84!
  Sorry,. ..I don't know on that alignment question.  Maybe Terry can help there.