Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

David Bogen Tuner and Amps

Hi Folks,

I think my next project will be in HiFi again. We have a trio of David Bogen gear, including two DB 130 mono integrated amplifiers https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/bogen_db130db_13.html and a mono tuner, the R660 https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/bogen_db130db_13.html

One of the amps was owned by my father in law, the other we found several years ago in order to make up a stereo system, along with the tuner. They all need a check-up, although they worked and sounded good last time they were tried, but it will be the usual recap story to nix the hidden gremlins. Also, a chance to align the tuner. One amp, and the tuner are almost certainly in original condition, so to speak.

The amplifiers are interesting, in that the output stage has a control which allows the damping factor to be varied. This, the owner's manual states, permits the best bass quality to be obtained. It does work, as in one can hear a difference. As an example of quite early HiFi, these are interesting components, and deserve to be looked-after.

Not sure when work will start, but this thread is a placeholder.

Cheers

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

I did that many MANY years ago, with a couple of identical  mono tube amps extracted from old Voice of Music phonos from the 50s.  They had push-pull 6V6 output stages and I though that made me the cat's meow!   Icon_cool   I was about 15 or 16 at the time. . . . one of my first ventures into hi fi.

I look forward to hearing your progress on these components, and of the results. What kind of speakers do you plan to use with them?

We have a nice little set of Acoustic Research bookshelf speakers, probably 60's or 70's vintage. They sound pretty good.

I took a peek at one of the amps yesterday, just to remember what is on the chassis. For a mono design, there is a decent power transformer and good sized output. Alas, there are no less than three electrolytic cans, two on insulating bases and with cardboard sleeves. I think, once I get both recapped, the first song to play will be Chubby Checker's "Let's Do the Twist" (lock).  Icon_e_biggrin

" . . . Chubby Checker's ' . . . the Twist' "    Icon_lol

I might have the Sam's for your amps and your tuner in my Sam's archive, let me know what the model is and I'll search through my filing cabinet of Sam's and get you a copy of it if I have it.

Thanks - I need to get started on these, so will take a look at the details this weekend. Icon_smile

To my surprise and enjoyment the excellent Mr Carlson has just produced a video on the Bogen DB130 amplifier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFixQdPw1Xk&t=1173s

The amps, I think, will be up next on the bench, once I get the 1938 tabletop radio finished.

Yeah, I saw that video.

You wouldn't happen to know why an old series string tube radio from 1948 would have problems with not wanting to receive stations would You?

I'm asking because I have a 1948 Westinghouse Model H-182 that I picked up at a garage sale last year that I mostly recapped except for 4 paper caps and the can cap (which is the original Aerovox Dry Electrolytic can cap, which in my experience have yet to fail on me in any radio that has had one installed from the factory). 

So Westinghouse radio in spite of the replacement of the paper caps absolutely refuses to receive any stations on either AM or FM.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong with my radio?

You should maybe start a new thread with this problem. I would tackle this by looking at the AM/FM common components. But first, check out the audio at the volume control. If that works then work forward to the IF and RFsections.

Rod

Ok, will do. Sorry about going off topic.

Good grief! where was I?

Anyway, I have become motivated to get the Bogens (the first amp anyway) on the bench. This is the unit we bought several years ago to match the one owned by my Father in law. It was sold as repaired, and the only evidence of this is two new caps which are presumably the signal coupling caps to the output valves. Everything else looks original. It does (did) seem to work fine, but who knows what potential disaster is lurking in the power supply caps. There are four, including three cans on the top of the chassis one of which is multi section. This adds up to a lot of restuffing if I go that route.

Otherwise, there is a mixture of ceramic disk and paper caps. The paper caps I testsed don't show any leakage, but I'll replace them, since a DVM is not the same as a hipot test near working voltage.

Ed

Hello Ed,
that is a great looking amp and depends if you want to put that much time into it far as restuffing I think this Amp deserves it .
I have a nice Harmon Kardon receiver like their first FM that I need to restore sometime before i get to old !
Sincerely Richard

I probably will restuff, but with two amps (making for a nice dual monoblock setup) there is a lot of can opening to do ?