Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My "New" Philco 112!

The original finish of the 112 was tinted lacquer, medium walnut in color.

If you are looking for an original-looking finish, toning lacquer is the only way to go. Stains and varnishes cannot duplicate a tinted lacquer finish. Lacquer is easy to apply, dries fast, and is very forgiving if you make a mistake. Yes, it can be a pain to find toning lacquer; you won't find it at Wal-Mart or Lowe's. You have to find it online. Do a Google search for "Pond Cove Paint" for one online seller of Mohawk toning lacquer (the best toning lacquer there is IMHO).

You should never sand so much that you sand through the veneer. For deep gouges, there are a few options, including using a wet rag to raise the wood back up on small dents, or wood filler for very deep gouges followed by veneer patches if necessary. Sanding should always be kept to a minimum. Use a good finish stripper to remove finish instead of sanding the finish off.

Proper stripping/refinish techniques involves a lot of work, and there is also a lot to learn. I do not claim to be any sort of expert on refinishing; I prefer working on the electronics to working on cabinets, although I can do a half-decent job on a cabinet if I have to.

I hope you are kidding about the contact paper; that stuff belongs inside kitchen cabinets, never on an old radio.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:The original finish of the 112 was tinted lacquer, medium walnut in color.

If you are looking for an original-looking finish, toning lacquer is the only way to go. Stains and varnishes cannot duplicate a tinted lacquer finish. Lacquer is easy to apply, dries fast, and is very forgiving if you make a mistake. Yes, it can be a pain to find toning lacquer; you won't find it at Wal-Mart or Lowe's. You have to find it online. Do a Google search for "Pond Cove Paint" for one online seller of Mohawk toning lacquer (the best toning lacquer there is IMHO).

You should never sand so much that you sand through the veneer. For deep gouges, there are a few options, including using a wet rag to raise the wood back up on small dents, or wood filler for very deep gouges followed by veneer patches if necessary. Sanding should always be kept to a minimum. Use a good finish stripper to remove finish instead of sanding the finish off.

Proper stripping/refinish techniques involves a lot of work, and there is also a lot to learn. I do not claim to be any sort of expert on refinishing; I prefer working on the electronics to working on cabinets, although I can do a half-decent job on a cabinet if I have to.

I hope you are kidding about the contact paper; that stuff belongs inside kitchen cabinets, never on an old radio.

I was 15 years old when I refinished my '41... I did OK really. I would have preferred to have that original finish on it... thanks for that valuable information!