Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Alignment Procedure for 40-180

I'm getting ready to restore a 40-180 that's been in the family since it was purchased. The cabinet is in good shape but I may refresh the labels.

The unit is functional but only picks up one or two stations. The audio quality is beautiful on what it does receive though. I replaced the AC cord a few years ago and a few internal wires that were badly cracked but now is the time to finish the job so to speak.

I'll be ordering new tubes next week as well as recapping and will be replacing the deteriorated buttons. But I can't seem to find the alignment procedure for this particular unit.

Hi Chuck,

Your alignment can be found here. http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013336.pdf
It's on page 3 in the lower right side. once you recap the whole radio You will probobly find that it picks up rather well.

Hopes this helps

Chuck

Don't forget to clean those pushbutton contacts and band switch contacts. Made a big difference in my 40-155 (similar chassis). Worked with intermittent cutting out before, it works great now. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for the tips. I ordered a set of documentation from Chuck S. over at the Philco Repair Bench to go along with the docs Terry referenced.

I'm hoping to get the tubes ordered this week along with a set of new buttons. I'll be getting new caps as well.

What technique did you use to clean the contacts? I was going to use tuner cleaner then some WD-40.

On my 40-155, I tried CRC QD Contact Cleaner (similar to tuner cleaner) but it didn't rid the pushbuttons and the band switch of its intermittent problems, so I went over the contacts again with Deoxit. That fixed it, and it's been fine ever since.

You might try tuner cleaner followed by scrubbing the contacts with an old toothbrush while the contacts are still wet with the cleaner. Dry thoroughly (a hair dryer is good for this) before powering up the radio.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That's about what I thought. I'll give that a try.

I won't be able to start on it for a week or two. I still need to order buttons and new caps.

But at least the tubes arrived today. They're in the original boxes no less.