Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 46-1201 Antenna Connections

I have a Philco 46-1201 radio. The schematic show 2 antenna connections at the T400 Antenna Coil. 1 is the built in loop antenna (which my radio has). Then, there is a separate external lead to connect an exterior antenna to the set. My radio does not have this external lead. Probably broke or cut off years ago.  With this external lead completely missing and/or not connected to the chassis, will it cause any performance issues with the AM signal? Static? Whistling? Etc? I pick up many stations just fine up and down the dial, but most sound like there is excessive static superimposed over the signal. Moved the radio to other locations in the house with same results. Happens on almost every station except the 1 or 2 real powerful ones. Wasn't sure if this missing antenna connection would be causing problems.

Attached Files
.pdf Radio.pdf Size: 425.84 KB  Downloads: 156

Some info from Beitmans

Thanks, David! My external lead is missing. With it not there, and obviously not grounded out to the chassis for loop operation, will that cause problems with my reception? I am picking up AM stations without problems with the built in loop antenna, but always have static (and sometimes whistling) with each station. You can hear the constant static and whistling in the background.....almost like it is superimposed over the AM stations signal.

Hi,
I had one of these and if the lead from the antenna coil on pin one wasn't connected to the chassis hex screw, the radio would really sound bad. If it was connected to a long wire antenna it worked fine.
Just replace the wire with a piece of stranded hook-up wire about four inches long and put a spade lug on the end to connect under the ground screw. It should then sound great. Use the diagram in one of the other posts.
Hope this helps.
Gerald