Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-200 Resistors Question

Philco 46-200 restoration project.    Ready to dive in.  

All caps will be replaced.   But I have a couple of newby questions about resistors:

1.  If a given resistor tests within specs (taking into account whether it's a 20% or 10% tolerance resistor), should I leave it in place?   In other words, replace only the bad ones?

2.  I know that changes were made throughout the production run on this radio, but mine has a resistor or two where the schematics (and subsequent production change notes) don't show one; and conversely, it is missing a resistor or two where the schematic says there should be one.    When it comes to the resistors, should I restore the radio strictly to the schematic?   Or should I restore it to "as found" configuration?

I should mention that it works as is, meaning it picks up stations and has good volume.

I should also mention that it looks like it has had a minimum of tampering -- I really suspect it left the factory with the resistor configuration it has now.  BUT I'm pretty new to this...   so I'm asking the gurus.

Considering the radio works, I would match what is found in the chassis.

I normally don't replace resistors that are in spec. My thinking is that replacement may be more traumatic (mechanical and thermal) to the radio than any benefit.

Others have mentioned that if the resistor measures at the high end of the tolerance, it may have started at the low end of the tolerance and drifted it's way up. There is no way of knowing and it would be good to replace these resistors.

Thank you!