Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-608 no radio stations

Thanks for the add! I hope to learn more from the experts here.  I have recapped my 41-608 (thanks for the help on another thread on wiring can #21) but still don't have any radio stations what so ever.  There is still a slight hum in the sound but now the phonograph is at least audible. Are there any hidden caps I could have missed? Any help will be appreciated. Again thanks

Recap is only the first step.
You have to attempt to align the radio, and if you cannot pass the signal through and you are sure your tubes are good, start looking for open RF doils.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hi Derek and welcome,
I would break out the signal generator and set it up to produce a modulated 455KC signal. Connect the output of the generator to terminal strip on the back of the chassis terminals 2 (signal side of the generator) and 3 (to the gnd side of the generator). If the IF and det stages are working you should hear If you the modulating tone. At this point you can adjust #27a, 27B and 30. If you are using a old 50's service grade generator double check the calibration . Turn the set on in the dark and make sure that all the tube are lit, the loctals can be a little hard to see into.

GL.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I don't have a signal generator so it will have to go to a shop to be adjusted. I found the hum I connected the negative side of 21B to the wrong terminal now the phonograph sounds great! Thanks for the help

Found some info from Beitmans.

Derek,

A SG could be (if you don't want to invest much) a $20 job like a Leader or such, a 1-tuber. For a beginner and troubleshooting quite enough.
Not sure what shop it is but if it is a commercial place, the charge will be such that you could buy 3 to 5 of these.
If you are serious about radios, at least get that.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Didn't know they were that reasonable what would you suggest for someone that wouldn't be using one that much and would be simple for a beginner like me

I just received my signal generator and connected the red lead to the number 2 terminal on the back of the radio and the black lead to the number 3 terminal. I then turned the dial all the way to the right. I switched both units on and hear no signal. What did I do wrong or what could be the problem.

Generator set to 455 kz

Retryed again today on working radio and got my tone so generator works. Reconnected to philco and tone came through. Adjusted 27a 27b 30a and 40a by instructions on Rider pg&e 12-76. Still no signals. Operation 2 on Riders says to connect generator to "loop signal generator" and set generator to 1500 khz. Where is this located.

What they are saying is to use a loop connected to the output of the generator placed near the ant loop of the radio. This loop on the generator would consist of about 20t of hook wire 1' in diameter.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

By hook wire do you mean picture hanging wire

Sorry meant hookup wire.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Don't want to sound bad but what is hookup wire?

Just regular old wire. Plastic or enamel coated. Average gauge like 18 to 26 is good.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry