Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-62 Improve bass?

Been working on my ebay buy but one thing i noticed is there is little to no bass in the audio. I am wondering if i can change No# 23 .006 to a .01 would that improve the audio and give it more bass?
Ignore the red and black dots that is where i have been checking good and bad parts. The part i am referring to has a black arrow.

Attached Files Image(s)

Merry Christmas. Happy Hanuka.

The bass will improve when you put the radio back in the cabinet.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

You can certainly change part #23 to a .01 condenser with no real ill effects. What it will do is cut down the higher frequency tones, cut the treble. It won't actually increase the bass. You can give it a try, and see how you like the sound. I would try the chassis on the case first, and see how that sounds. If you still want more bass sound relative to the treble, then change it, but realize you will lose some of the brightness of the highs.

Speaker has been in the cabinet the whole time i didn't feel like taking it out over risks of damaging the cone.

I would think that the radio should have decent bass if it has a good sized speaker. Even an 8” speaker should sound good. Having the speaker in the cabinet the way you have is the best way to judge audio quality.

If you have replaced the caps, recheck C16 and C22. Recently I was working on a radio, and the cap on the volume control wiper was bad. It was already replaced with a .02 yellow cap. New mass produced caps can be bad. I had the same issue you have, poor bass. Sometimes C27 the 250pf mica cap goes bad, but that would not likely cause low bass.

A quick swap of the 6Q7 and 6F6 tubes is not a bad idea if not already done.

Hope this helps.

Tony

“People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it”

I did this a couple of times, before I found some good paper suspension cones which are much more authentic.

Just in case somebody doesn't know what I am talking about - the replacement cone above has a very compliant foam surround.

This makes for a very nice improvement over stock, especially in bass response.

I believe that if you are going to change something, this(!) would be the most effective. You don't need to change anything in the radio, not even the speaker, just the cone.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

The only paper caps i have changed so far is no# 15,16 and i checked the replacements before install and they tested fine. My order should be in about dinner time so i will have to wait till tomorrow.