Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 112X electronics restoration.

Today eventually....next step.

Rebuilt the tone control.
Ray Bintliff's book is a great help.

So, first gut the control.

Then position the caps and solder the wires.

Then cover the caps with some fishpaper covers so the hot glue doesn't damage the caps.

And then pot it with glue.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

This is how wires are soldered.

Now, to add about the rest of the day's results: I tested the tubes and all except one, a 27, one out of 4, are good. One 27 had low MC and when tested for gas showed being quite gassy. I think I might have one, if not in stock then yanked from those radios waiting their turn.

I also tested the power transformer and it appears to be good.

The power switch was in megaohms whem closed. I fitted the Trolmaster (the thread is not quite the same but the diameter is the same so it could be locked somewhat), squirted some "D" (contact cleaner) Deoxit in it and it improved alot; now that it reliably conducts, turn-on/turn-offs might clean it some more.

Ready to power up.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Today's weather kept me asleep, but eventually I went down the basement, yanked a 27 tube from a 96 radio I have waiting for its turn, tested it, put it in the chassis and powered up.
Local station came loud and clear, and the speaker sounds great out of the cabinet. Some other stations also came through, no antenna attached.
The local station is 1160kc and it came at 1160 at the dial.

I will still align it and put in the cabinet. Maybe today or tomorrow.

Great job, Mike. I've been following your work on this thread. Very interesting. Glad to see the radio is now up and running again. Great feeling isn't it?  Icon_clap

Mike

Thanks. Yes, it always feels good to bring a rdio back to life.
Would've been sooner if....but then life is what it is.
Now the alignment.

That looks to be the very same tone control on model 19 I’m working on. You have inspired me to yank it out, and fix it! It does not vary in tone on any setting..

It is 30 minutes tops.
Very simple.

So I did the alignment. Fairly straightforward.
As in all these 1930 sets, the same small inconvenience: the trimmer under the slanted tuning cap support is accessed through narrow openings in that support so it either has to be removed or another tool has to be used; I resorted to my ballpen improvise tool I have been keeping around.

Tomorrow if all is good I will put it back in the cabinet.

Today I put the chassis bottom cover back, took it tothe cabinet, put it in, put the speaker in, closed the back cover.
What can I say....the sound that came out of that thing (and a good programming by Jersey Shore radio really showcased it) blew me away. Literally. It is one really good sounding radio.
 The 111 in the lowboy cabinet, despite being the same chassis with the same speaker, is not at all the same: it is at best mediocre.  But this...wow.

Well, I am happy, and this completes this radio restoration.
At some point some GoJo and then some furniture polishing goop could be applied to it but for now I am done with it.

Congratulations, Mike. Beautiful radio. I'm sure it will bring many hours of listening pleasure.

Mmmm, . . . I like those inclined baffle models.   Beautiful !

Looks very nice Mike. Icon_thumbup

I like mine! Was listening to it just an hour ago. Good sounding radio for 1932.

I'd say it's a good sounding radio for 1941 too. Or even later.

Good job Mike.
Icon_thumbup