Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-62 noise

Set has been recapped and out of tolerance resistors replaced but produces a light static with the volume all the way down. The set plays fine and picks up many stations i have been poking around with a chop stick to looks for intermittent resistors that is the only thing i know to do. All tubes test good / strong.
I did replace the resistors with metal oxide / film resistors instead of carbon.

Merry Christmas. Happy Hanuka.

Jake did you clean the inside of the volume pot? DeOxit works miracles on potentiometers. That may correct it.

1929 Victor R-32, 1933 60L, Phil 40-158, Phil 42-400X, Phil 47-1230 Radio/Phono,, 1950 Phil TV t-1104, Air King 4000, Philco 41-105, Philco 37-675, RCA Victor 9K2, PT-50, Phil 54C, PT-44 Cabinet, Phil 118X Cabinet

Gregg Icon_thumbup

Might try some WD-40 in and around the tube sockets and clean the tube pins .

I have run into some mica caps that do what you describe and there is one on the plate lead of the 6Q7 tube, item #27 250pf, you could try that. Also the fact that you hear it with the volume control all the way down says it is beyond that point or in the power supply. Also any original resistor can cause that static sound.

Greg

Already taken the volume control apart and cleaned it with deoxit along with the tube pins that helped some. I will look into the mica's that are in the set along with the factory resistors.

No#27" 250pf tied to the plate of the detector tube is there suppose to be voltage leakage to ground noticed 14 volts on the ground side of the capacitor.