Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-200 Reception / External Antenna

I recently completed my first electrical restoration of a Philco 46-200 with help from folks on the Philco Phorum.  Working well.

When I position the radio in the kitchen surrounded by large windows on all sides, it receives every local AM station it should.   But when I move it to my office (same house), I can only pick up the two strongest stations, and not well.

There is a connection for an external antenna -- but most of what I read about is hundreds of feet long wire antennas.  Do I have any more reasonable options to pull in stations better?  This is a brick house.

Thanks!

Bob

Hello, if you have an old no longer in use phone land line in the room you could try using it.
There happened to be one in my work area in the basement and I tried it few years ago and it worked.

NOT doubting your restorations of the radio.

Review the alignment. If there is background noise when the radio is away from window that is a good indication the AVC is working properly in conjunction with the gain in the RF/IF.

If there is no background noise and when sweeping the dial when the radio is near the window that is a rough idea there is insufficient action of the AVC. Try a re-alignment before searching for possibly awkward ways to bring BCB signals to the center of the home.

The AVC, if working properly, will also bring in any electrical noises too. I would suggest an external, passive loop antenna but noise will likely have to be abated somehow...

Maybe Santa will brink you a Terk passive AM Advantage antenna...

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Terk works great with 5 and 6 tube sets. Paul

Tubetalk1

I have used a six foot length of ethernet cable to form a 48 foot antenna by connecting alternate ends of the eight wires. Works great in my lower level work area.

Rod

I've used the phone line idea KCMike suggested. In my area, the red/green wires in my phone cable are used for my actual phone service. The yellow or black wires were dead so I've used one of those, connecting my radio through a .001 mfd cap and now,I have a 60'+ of antenna high off the ground, works great!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Guys, such great suggestions. Thanks!

I believe the AVC is working correctly... but when the radio sits on top of my antique roll top desk with the back facing the wall, reception is pretty limited. If I physically turn the radio so the back of the radio (where the built in loop antenna is) faces the window, the difference is night and day. But I don't want my radio sitting sideways on my desk!!

So I'm going to experiment with your suggestions. Thanks again!!!

Bob