Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 19 Code 128

well, the darn thing is working, so I decided not to fool with the way it's working- except the sound doesnt have much (if any) treble.  No highs. 

Is there a capacitor or resistor value I could change to make this sound better?

I've aligned it, and it gets stations up and down the dial; sensitivity is better on the high end, but that may be due to my 3 foot antenna!

Picture of ye olde but ye goode signal generator.

A coupe things come to mind, maybe the IF is fairly sharp so it can't accommodate the full width of the am station. If you tune off to one side of a station does the high frequency response improve?
Does the voice coil move freely?
If it's the amplifier you could try decreasing the .03 cap that is part of 48 (tone control switch).

3' [Image: https://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/sm...on_lol.gif]  Gotta hook it up to ur 160mtr dipole up 90'...

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

“160mtr dipole up 90’” Icon_smile I wish! How about pathetic G5RV Jr. up about 16’ hi hi one of these days a real communications tower!
But, good advice, will try, and let u know.
Thanks,
Simon

The longest ant I have here is 125' long (80mtr 1/2wave) up 8'.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry, update on tone control - no improvement
Tuning through stations make no difference, seems normal to me
The voice coil moves freely
Substituting .015 for the .03 made no difference
The 4 position tone control just don’t work! There is good volume and good fidelity just no highs.  Interesting problem, must be something simple!

Ok plan B remove the tone control switch and insulate from the chassis. Then give it a try maybe something is amiss in the switch.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Well Terry, I did what you said to do, didn't make much difference, then decided that since it works and it doesn't sound half bad, put it back in the cabinet and be happy!  And, on to the next one.  Thanks for the help!
-Simon