Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 47-1227

Hey Guys, I am new to radio restoration and I do not feel alone anymore. I am very happy to have found this forum. I picked the 47-1227 to restore as my first project because it has FM and record player. It's 98% original. I started replacing capacitors and some resistors before I joined. I have replaced some of the 100mmf ceramic caps (brown dog bone) with 100mmf silver mica caps and I don't know if that is OK or if I should use ceramic disk caps?  Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Mica caps should be fine.

When you say "dog bone" resistors most folks think of the ones you'll see at the end of this post (from our library)

Lots of help here so don't hesitate to ask questions!!

Hi and welcome,
Generally the ceramic disks age very gracefully and are not problematic. Hope they aren't near the bandswitch or the 7F8 as they will come back to bite you in the derriere. As far as capacitor replacement goes stick w/the foil/paper and electrolytic caps for now.

GL

ps I took a quick @ the schematic and for the most part the 100mmfd cap are heater bypass which are fairly innocuous. C412 isn't but don't think it's a problem.
https://philcoradio.com/library/download...6-1947.pdf

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks, It's the mmf caps that look like dog bones that I was concerned with. I didn't know they were ceramic to start with so I used silver mica. I figured out how to use the
Sencore LC102 I found in the dumpster, seems to work just fine and I found 2 bad 6 good so far. About 1/3 0f the resistors are bad.

Thanks Terry, They were the 2  100mmfs and 33mmf by 5AZ4 that I replaced with silver mica. I haven't replaced any more of them. I have been testing as I go and found a couple bad. I have been reading as much as I can on the forum and other resources and the most everybody says to leave them in if they are good.