Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-10001P, code 122

Started another project, any advice its died (no sound).
Tried clipping in new cap. Ohm things out, used dynamic tester... cant find the problem. I have to be missing something???

Attached Files Image(s)

great news after starting this post I went back into it and know I've got sound. I don't know what it was I didn't switch anything, something must have been loose or touching wrong, "YA HOO, HEE HEE'. Now that radio plays I need to replace some wirers ( crumbling apart ) get it together and start on the phonograph player. What a way to end Saturday!!!

If "something must have been loose or touching wrong," you had better go in, and take a careful look at all the solder connections, especially the ones you did, to make sure they are good, bright, shiny connections, and not cold solder joints. Also look to make sure that nothing IS touching wrong. If it was a problem before, it is going to rear its ugly head again unless you do.

Are all of the tubular capacitors original? If so, you may want to consider changing them out for new. They are a problem waiting to happen!

Thanks for the info, I will keep all in mind.
I have got some work done on it today and its still
is playing. I want to switch out some more wirers mostly
 the cloth ones to the phono. take a look.

Attached Files Image(s)

I tried the phonograph tonight and on this model it has as it is said on my schematic " the sound 
output of the radio and phonograph is controlled by a new type dual volume control which also 
operates the power switch." When I turn the switch to radio, it comes on and volume 
works. Turn the switch to phono the radio comes on volume works. At either position when 
I lift the pickup arm and the radio stops and the record table starts. The arm on 
record no sound, but that's worry for later. My question is, is the radio 
suppose to come on at both positions, Radio or Phono.

" . . . is the radio suppose to come on at both positions, . . . "

If that control is anything like the one in my 48-1256,  the radio operates with clockwise movement, the phono operates with counterclockwise movement.  The chassis must be powered in either position,( with "off" being the center detent). But, it sounds like your potentiometer's audio hasn't been wired properly.  Check to see that the phono cartridge output is connected to the one side only, the tuner output connected to the other side only.

I have her back together, sounding an 
looking good, but there are two things
I need to fix.
1) I think that volume/on off switch is not right, 
its still doing the same thing as before. Got to do some 
some studying or get your help out there.
2) I put in an pick-up crystal I had. Have to find one. 
TAKE A LOOK!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Looking nice ! 
Are you missing the screws for the cartridge?

I have those, Here is all I have of the old one

Attached Files Image(s)

" I have those, Here is all I have of the old one "

Okay.  Don't discard that,... Gib Epling of West-Tech Services rebuilds them. . . .an excellent service!
I had him rebuild two for me many years ago, and they lasted for over a decade.

West-Tech Services
615 Fairground Street
Caldwell, OH, 43724

www.west-techservices.com
Phone and fax : 740-732-6056

Thanks, I will check on that! Icon_e_biggrin

I'm going to have to go back in mine and check for a bad tube, ...so maybe I'll also try to look at how the volume control is and see if I can't shed some more light on your problem.   Icon_idea

That would be great cause I don't think I should have radio be on when switch to phono ( gose off when you pick up arm). I have also sent off info to West Teck. Thank-a-bunch!

Hi Gent's
The way the volume control is wired is that the center is ground (the - side the audio) each end is connected to the audio source. What this means is that with the volume in the center it's going to have the lowest volume both the radio and the phono are all the way down. If you turn it one way it will make the radio louder and the other way the phono will be louder. The center position is minimum for both. It's sort of .counterintuitive. Don't see a mute switch for the phono.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry