Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Barn find Philco 116x

update: rainy day today so I pulled out the philco into a Place I can work on it. some good new is the cabinet is is great shape shape from what I can tell but the not so good news is that the bolts that hold on the radio to the chassis are gone so it seems that someone attempted to fix it and failed so it was parked. also I didn't think mice would like to live in a radio but I was mistaken. there was a nest in there so I imagine a lot of internals have been chewed. no pictures because I forgot my camera

Bob you might get lucky on lots of damage caused by the mice. I have ran into 5 or 6 radios with mice nests and the damage they did was not too bad. Lets hope that's the case here.
Their urine is been the biggest cause of damage I hated dealing with.

Was a nice Sunday afternoon so I decided to go clean the radio up and take some pictures. and I'm a little stumped on what to do next. I know I need to get a new rectifier tube but I need to know what all I need to test. I poked around with a voltmeter (ohms meter) on the tubes and on a few of the resisters and stuff. also how can you test capacitors? do check it with an voltmeter?

here are my two helpers!

Bob,

If you wouldn't mind......unless you post from a phone (which is a pain in the rear to type on) could you please use some punctuation and capitals where they beling? It is hard to read a long paragraph without any commas separating parts.
Thanks,
Mike.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Looks like your helpers are raring to go!! Very cute!
>also how can you test capacitors? do check it with an voltmeter?

That's an easy one. If you disconnect it and throw it in the trash can and it makes a noise it's bad. They are not worth the trouble to test only to find they are or very soon to be bad. Better to replace. There are two different types of fixed non polarize caps in this set, mica and foil/paper. Generally the mica holdup well over time and are still good after many years. On the other hand the foil /paper not so much and can cause lot of problems. These would be the tubular type they are brown w/a black band around one end. I see about 7 or so just looking @ your pic.
Those black things w/the terminals have one or two inside. And then are 3 electrolytic can type caps which have 7 individual caps inside.
https://www.watelectronics.com/different...lications/

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Bob, 

I have a copy of the service data for the 116x I scanned out of one of my Philco Service manuals. I sent you a PM.

-Keith