Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-620 dial lamp assembly

Working on a 37-620. Doesn't have a dial lamp. Any one have a pic of what it should look like, or have an extra? Also, the schematic shows 2 pilot lamps. Isn't there only one? All I have is a red wire with nothing on the end.

Thanks,

Pat

Pat,
Use a #47 bayonet base. It is 6.3 V. Second bulb could have been for a shadow meter.

Just found a pic. The lamp socket with deflector is what I need. Unless I can figure out how to duplicate it. I'll put an ad in the classified section.

Patrick, schematic showing 2 light bulbs is probably a typo, as this particular model didn't have a shadow meter, so more than likely it only had one dial lamp and that was it. 

If my model 116B is of any guide as far as how the pilot lamps are wired up in it, the way yours should be wired up is that it has the hot side (the wire that's still there in your radio) wired up to the center contact of the bayonet socket and the outer contact was wired to chassis ground via a screw terminal.

Patrrick, I have an extra dial lamp assembly on a 37-630 chassis I am stripping for parts. I need the electrolytics and clamps for the 37-640 I am restoring. It does not mount with a screw. The assembly has a spring metal clip that slides onto a metal tab. You'll have to clean it up, and spray the inside of the reflector with chrome paint, or re-plate it, and replace the center contact wire and rubber squishy inside. I used a tiny grommet from the auto parts store when I rebuilt the last one. I think Ron made a post about this a long time ago, you can see if you can find it. It is actually pretty easy and straightforward. I'm sure you can figure it out. PM me if you are interested. I'll be rebuilding the one for my 37-640 and will do photos showing how I do it. It uses the same part.

Quote:Patrrick, I have an extra dial lamp assembly on a 37-630 chassis I am stripping for parts. I need the electrolytics and clamps for the 37-640 I am restoring. It does not mount with a screw. The assembly has a spring metal clip that slides onto a metal tab. You'll have to clean it up, and spray the inside of the reflector with chrome paint, or re-plate it, and replace the center contact wire and rubber squishy inside. I used a tiny grommet from the auto parts store when I rebuilt the last one. I think Ron made a post about this a long time ago, you can see if you can find it. It is actually pretty easy and straightforward. I'm sure you can figure it out. PM me if you are interested. I'll be rebuilding the one for my 37-640 and will do photos showing how I do it. It uses the same part.

Hi Mike, I apologize for supplying misinformation concerning the dial lamp, I just assumed the negative contact for the pilot lamp on this model's dial lamp was wired up similar to how the 116's pilot lamp assembly was because of the radio being made only a year later than the 116. 

But that was going to be my next guess as to how it was wired up, which was using a clip that slid onto a metal tab that completed the lamp socket's circuit, rather than using a separate wire lead that was screwed to the chassis.

But its good that he'll have an option for getting a socket through a fellow forum member here.  Icon_biggrin

Here’s a rebuilding tutorial in our library section that might be useful:

https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...lot-lamps/

Thanks Bob.