Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 84 Custom CNC Cabinet
Video 

I purchased this radio about three years ago on eBay. When I received it the cabinet was in worse shape that I thought and the guts didn't work. I put it in a box and there it sat. 
A couple of years ago I bought myself a CNC machine and thought it was time to build a new cabinet and to repair the chassis. The cabinet face was laminated from two pieces of plywood and covered by laminate on the front and rear. The finished product turned out pretty good.
Although not original, you need to look pretty close to notice that's its not.
The chassis was worked on by many people in the past. You could tell just by looking at it. I rebuilt the caps and ended up replacing all the resistors as well. They were out by at least 50% tolerance. I purchased a set of original knobs and a new dial indicator.
It works and I am happy with the outcome.
Cheers all and thank you for looking.
Barry

Attached Files Image(s)

Great job ! Icon_clap Icon_thumbup   Nice save. That cabinet looks great. It's nice to see a radio saved like that. I have a Crosley model 716 which has a really rough cabinet. The veneer is peeling and the speaker, which points up through the top of the cabinet, came loose in shipping. Fortunately the chassis is OK, only the rectifier tube on top of the power transformer got broken. The original cabinet is sort of a low tombstone, tall cube type. I am going to make a new one rather than fix the old one. I plan on making a "doll house" console for it, a floor standing cabinet, just smaller than most, only about 3 feet tall. That may happen next summer when the weather is more conducive to such things. Right now I have the Philco 37-640 I am working on, and then the Scott Radio Labs (successors to E. H. Scott) SLR-M to keep me out of trouble (and extra money to play with) .

Very nice!
Icon_thumbup

Nice looking cabinet!

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes