Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mica cap confusion

I see this quite often and would like to put my question to bed if we can.
I have a 3 dot mica mold cap with only color is in the 2nd dot position.
Am I to assume the code is brown yellow brown ? Also what is the yellow
mark in the lower left signify?

Attached Files Image(s)

Danny

Howdy, You can refer to the link I have posted below that should clear up any of your confusion regarding mica capacitors.

mica capacitor color code chart

The capacitor in question in your post is a 141 pF Capacitor the yellow dot on the bottom corner of the capacitor is a voltage rating marking which in your case is yellow which means your capacitor is a 400VDC capacitor.

I hope this helps you out.

Actually, I think it is a 140mmf condenser, 1st digit, brown = 1, 2nd digit, yellow = 4, number of '0's, brown = 1, and voltage is as stated, mark on bottom corner, yellow = 400VDC. I generally use the modern brown candy drop kind to replace these.
[Image: https://www.assignmentpoint.com/wp-conte...citors.jpg]

If it's in a Philco radio it could be some value other than stated above. Philco had their own colour code for the mica caps and there are charts in Ray Bintliff's capacitor book. According to his book this is a 250pf cap.

Gregb

Everyone thanks for the mica cap lesson. I thought the value is 141PF but the parts breakdown
marks this as 250PF hence my confusion. It is a Philco 38-2670 and I'm using a 37-2670 schematic.
Didn't know if that had anything to do with my confusion. Looks like I'll be on the hunt for Ray Bintliff's
book. Thanks again everyone.

Danny