Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ipod in a Philco

Option 2)

Thinking about the 3-pin coupler. It appears that I could insert the ipod signal here. This thread, and This thread provided the inspiration & schematics.

I'm considering this switch: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index....Id=2062495

I have attached my own schematic drawing of the proposed circuit. This is my first schematic drawing so there may be errors. Thanks to Stephen Maesk and Ron for getting me 99% there with their drawings.

Lastly what is the value of the inductor/coil/choke?

.pdf Philco 42-1006 Aux Jack Install.pdf Size: 93.38 KB  Downloads: 165

I would strongly recommend buying an sstran kit or an updated version of a phonograph oscillator like the one AES sells. By the time you have finished drilling holes, installing switches, figuring out where to break the circuit, trying to get the impedances matched on one radio you can be on the air with a part 15 transmitter broadcasting to every radio in the house.
Regards
Arran

Quote:I would strongly recommend buying an sstran kit or an updated version of a phonograph oscillator like the one AES sells. By the time you have finished drilling holes, installing switches, figuring out where to break the circuit, trying to get the impedances matched on one radio you can be on the air with a part 15 transmitter broadcasting to every radio in the house.
Regards
Arran

I'll second what Arran said.

I'm not sure if linking to the barking dog forum is OK, but there is a thread there for a LM386N transmitter that can be built in a few hours for about $15 with parts from Mouser.com. It sounds unbelievably good for something so cheap and easy to make.

It's not how bad you mess up, it's how well you can recover.

Thanks for the input Arran & Eric. I looked into that option but want to use this project as an opportunity to learn a bit about about electronics and I love the idea of supplying a native signal rather than a broadcast signal. I've already learned so much. It may be a long a frustrating path but I've been loving the journey. Perhaps if the road gets too long, I'll revisit the idea of a LM386N or SStran.

Eric T Wrote:I'm not sure if linking to the barking dog forum is OK

Sure it's OK.

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopi...2&t=193042

But it isn't OK for the ARF to link to this forum, as in the eyes of most ARFers, this forum does not exist.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Cool. Good to know.

I spend way more time over here, anyway.

It's not how bad you mess up, it's how well you can recover.

Ron, I beg to differ. I have seen links go in both directions. In fact I see the same people on both forums. I prefer the Philco Phorum as I work almost only on Philcos. The alternate is great for going off to other radios and general learning as to the wide subject matter perhaps the large number of active people and of course the neat fire fights that develop. I don't believe they are in any way the are competitive. Yours is great! If I want Philco info, the phorum is the only place to go.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

It's called "being facetious," Jerry. Icon_wink

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have restored a 40-180 radio for my own listening pleasure and want to listen to period music,as there is not much to listen to on AM radio
except for talk radio. Rather than buy an AM transmitter to broadcast into my radio, I installed a DPDT switch on the rear of the cabinet and
broke the connection to the hi side of the volume control and sent the radio audio through the switch then back to the volume pot.I then wired
a stereo  1/8 in cable and plug to the other side of the switch.  I plugged the 1/8 in plug into an Alexa Dot, so I just have to say " ALEXA, PLAY
SOME GLEN MILLER MUSIC" , and set the switch to the aux input position. It works great for me but even with the Alexa Dot set to max volume,
I still need to turn the volume control up,but  there is still plenty of gain in the audio stages.     I did have a problem with a small amount of radio
audio bleeding through to the speaker with the switch set to Aux. input.   I solved that be using the other side of the DPDT switch to ground out
the radio audio when the switch was in the Aux position. I built the audio switching and mixing onto a small perf board taped to the back side of
the cabinet. I might think about building a 1 or 2 transistor amp to boost the audio output of  the Alexa Dot just to make the audio levels equal
to the radio level.
This is just my thoughts on the subject of Aux inputs with old radios.
Fred