Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 610 restoration

I am new to the restoration game, but would like to get my 610 in working condition.  The wires under the chassis and the connections appear solid.  When I apply power, I get a tiny glow on the top of the “42” tube but that is it. None of the other tubes glow nor get warm. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

DO NOT power this receiver on again until after you have restored it ! You will need to replace all the paper condensers (capacitors) and all the electrolytic condensers. You will also want to check the resistors, and replace any that have drifted out of spec, usually 20% of the specified value unless otherwise noted or marked, (silver or gold band, or 2nd end color. Read through the threads in the electronic restoration section that deal with the 37-610. Study any pictures you find there, and learn from others' experience. Feel free to ask questions. The folks here will do their best to help you.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

+1 on what Mike said. Lots of restoration to do before next power up. There are lots of threads on replacing caps and resistors. Ask questions here....lots of folks to help you through it.

While chewing on the above responses, I am continuing on the restoration and refinishing of the outer wooden case. Any suggestions on where to get the water transfer decals for the front?

You do not say if your radio is simply a model 610, or a model 37-610, or 38-610. It does make a difference. I buy all my decals from Radio Daze. Here is a link to their Philco pages. https://www.radiodaze.com/decals-46/

These radios did not have much in the way of decals on their front when they were new. People were intelligent enough back then to actually read the instructions which came with the radio. I believe all they has was the brand name, Philco. By the way, expect to wait a while to get them after ordering them. They have had some health issues with some key staff which are delaying production. I'm not sure how this affects the decals, but I know it is affecting the phenolic dial production.

Some info from Beitman

There were a few different flavors of the 610 over the years which can make it more difficult to find the correct schematic. Would help if you could post a picture of the cabinet or any labeling on the chassis or cabinet to help identify the correct version.

-Keith