Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average

37-116 Restoration

Greg

For the magnetic tuning to work you will need to align it too. Or it will not.
I mean, of course after you fix all the switches and such.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I'm confused by the switch marked part #135. It seems to short, I believe, the discriminator outputs (A & B) together, but not ground them as switch #93 does.

I have no idea where part #135 is located. Is it part of the dial mechanism? It's not the light switch portion of #93, the schematic shows that "linked" to the magnetic tuning switch.

Can't think of anything witty.
Greg O.
Whitehall, PA

Part #135 confusion gone. It is part of the dial mechanism. Google "found this":
See https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Ri...hanges.pdf (page 13 of file):

It will be noticed in the schematic
on page 7-31, 7-32 of Rider's Volume
VII, that two parts carry the same
number: No. 135.  One is the pilot
light and this is the correct number for
this part; the 'second is a switch, lo-
cated on the schematic just below and
to the left of the 6J5G AVC tube.
The number of this switch should be
137.  This number does not appear in
the list of parts on page 7-36, but the
switch is used on the automatic dial
mechanism and appears in the parts
list under "Code 122" as "Plunger
Stop
and Switch Assembly, Part No.
45-2330."

I thought something wasn't right about that.
Now something else to check. Hopefully something easier to access.

Greg O.
Whitehall, PA

I'm curious. How accurate are these radios' dials after alignment?

For example, I aligned the 7.35-11.6 MHz band at 11.0 and 7.5 as per the instructions. I then looked to see where 10 MHz landed on the dial. It shows up at ~10.015 MHz. Not bad, not perfect. I figured I'd check 10 MHz since the 31m SW stations are around there along with WWV.

Greg O.
Whitehall, PA

That's well within tolerances, as far as my experience goes. You might be able to get it a hair closer, but I wouldn't fret it as long as your sensitivity is good. I generally try to get it within one "tick" + or - on the dial with any radio, and sometimes that takes a LOT of fiddling and repeating the alignment procedure. The RCA C9-4 I just completed I went over, and over, and over about 6 times before I had it both accurate and sensitive enough to meet my expectations. If it is sensitive, and works as well as you like, I would not worry any more. Sometimes it is best to leave well enough alone.

DONE... Talk about a glacial pace!

Well electrical part was done for quite some time. I just had to replace the grill cloth and put it all back into the cabinet.

It sounds really good.

Greg O.
Whitehall, PA

Congratulations, Greg ! Pictures of the finished radio?

OK - by popular demand, a picture Icon_smile .

The cabinet's in pretty decent shape. I cleaned it and applied some wax.

I still need to make some station tabs. I have an old dial I'll carve up into tabs. The plan is to cut out the tabs, make decals with the call letters on them, apply them to the tabs and coat them with something, lacquer/polyurethane...

The sound quality is really good. I need an antenna. There's just a short piece of wire hanging off of the back now (that sad, white wire curled up on the ground).

I have a TV I'll probably finish next. Then it's probably on to the 37-690 whose cabinet is sitting in our dining room. It's way to heavy to move to the basement.

Greg O.
Whitehall, PA

Nice, looks sharp. Will sound super with antenna.

Paul

Tubetalk1

I'd be very proud to own that set. If that is where you intend to keep it you can tuck a longwire antenna in between the kick moulding and the carpet along the walls. You'll never see it! Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

It's beautiful, Greg ! Congratulations again, my friend.

Beautiful radio enjoy it for years to come!   Icon_thumbup