Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 15X troubles

Hi All - just getting back into restoring radios after a few years away and it feels GREAT.  Last fall I picked up a Philco 15X radio in great shape but of course not working - the fun part.
I have recapped the set and am able to fire it up to silence. 
Checking the voltages per the online schematics I found the P to K voltages on the Push Pull 42's to be about 10VDC and should be 255VDC.
Checking the Output Transformer I am seeing something I have not seen before.  The primary side has 2 leads attached to the plates of the 42's plus a center tap.  I have 295VDC at center tap and nothing out of the top and bottom leads.
Weird thing is I get 7K ohms measuring between top to bottom leads BUT 0.7K ohms CT to each of these.
Is this transformer pooched?  Am I missing something?  Suggestions for replacement?
All other voltages on the set are close - just the P - K on the 42's are way out.

Oops - forgot to attach... http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/138/M0013138.htm

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/138/M0013138.htm

Sounds like your opt is shot. I would think that you would see abt 2-3k or lower end to end and half that at the tap. These days there's a limited number of choices, Hammond 125D or E is one that comes to mind. Not good to have screen voltage on the 42's and no plate voltage it causes the sg to draw excessive current which can damage them.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thinking the same but have been away too long to be sure.  Not sure if what I see makes sense.  Thanks  Brian

Terry - the 125D works GREAT.  Installed and BOOM the radio is loud and clear.  Alignment was pretty much on spec.  Need to glue on new grill cloth and re-assemble.
Thank you
Brian

Glad to hear you got it running!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry