Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-1201 No antenna (Sorry, I had 1601 in the title originally)

This should be simple, I just want some guidance. 

I picked up a 46-1601 (EDIT: NOPE, A 1201) for free last weekend. I did a recap of all the electrolytics today, and the buzz is now gone. 

Unfortunately, the antenna is MIA. The two thin wires from the chassis are hanging out there, but there is no trace of the actual antenna. 

What shall I do? If this was your radio, what solution would you suggest? I'm thinking I can just make a loop with thin wire and call it a day, but maybe there is a more elegant solution? 

Thanks, 

Mark

First, I am not familiar with that radio, but here are some ideas. All of them involve your making a back for your radio. You can do this by cutting one from thick pasteboard, or cut one from masonite you get from a home supply store. You actually have several options. You could just buy a modern ferrite loopstick, connect it to the existing leads, and mount it to the new back using some plastic wire ties. If it is the tuneable kind you can adjust it so it gets the best reception. You could also cut a form from cardboard, slightly smaller than the radio back, and cut slots around the edges, an odd number, and wind wire around it, weaving it in and out of the slots,, about 60 to 70 turns (you can always remove turns if there are too many) in a similar manner to what is outlined here:

[Image: https://66.media.tumblr.com/74b276abc1d3...a80431.jpg]

again, mounting it inside the new back. Hope this helps.

Hello, there's a long thread on this forum discussing alternative antennae. Just do a search for antenna. My two cents is near the end showing a good example using a 6 foot ethernet cable. Alternately connect the wires so you end up with a 48 foot antenna, then coil it inside the cabinet. BTW when I did a search for the 46-1601 I got nothing.

Rod

Methinks it's a 49-1601.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

No, it's a 46-1201. My mistake. I shouldn't type when I need sleep. It's the good 'ol Bing Crosby model.

I found the thread - excellent advice! Thanks so much, and again, my apologies for the model confusion.