Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Antenna coil for Westinghouse WR-217

Does anyone have the specs (# of turns, resistance) for the two-band antenna coil for the WR-217? Westinghouse P/N 3RT-318.

Does anyone have a coil they are willing to sell?

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement coil?

Thank you

Hi 45 Philcodon,

Your options depend on a few things.
Are you going for an original look?
Are you looking to have the radio work on the "Police" Band?
If neither, you may get away with connecting a loopstick or old school loop antenna between the 6A7 grid and the AVC Line. 

This coil does not lend itself to rewinding, based on construction.  The coil is above chassis but hidden in the WR217 cabinet. This chassis is also used in an Emerson mini-tombstone and would be more visible there.  Several Emerson AC-DC and transformer powered radios have a similar band and change frequencies by grounding a tap on the coil.

Resistance may not have much bearing on this, but if need be, I will disassemble the radio again and make measurements.

The "Police" Band on this radio covers from 1.8-4.2 MHz.  I am not sure of the current activity but I believe that 160M and 80M Ham bands and some marine activity occurs on this band.  Active HAMs and SWLs in this Phorum may be helpful.

This must be a more popular radio than I thought,  This is the 3rd thread I have seen on this model tonight.

Best Regards.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Oops, 2 of those were yours.

I will try to attach pix for you, hopefully tomorrow.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Thank you for your response. I went with a solution that does not support operation of the police band.

Loss of the police band is no big deal. Most HAMS will be using SSB which was not around at the time the set was new. Have a Philco 38-15 that covers the police band nothing all is quiet.