Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 80 Colonial clock

I have just received a model 80 Colonial clock, that I purchased from a fellow in Ontario. It has been electrically restored, and the job looks fine. But there are a few details I'd like to clean up. But they are details only other clock owners may know!

The cords have been replaced with new equivalent cloth covered cord, but the ends aren't all the same. I can only seem to find one picture anywhere (online and in books) that shows the plug ends used for the common block. They seem to be the "hexagon" one. Would Philco have also used that on the wall cord, from the block? If so, this would be a departure from their usual style end of the period.

The other question I have is regarding the tube shields. When I received the set, I immediately noticed the shiny tube shield, and assumed it was wrong. Then I went hunting for pictures of the correct one.  This appears to be a late production chassis, and I found that the literature notes a tube shield change. Pictures I found of 80 chassis in several cathedral versions seem to back up the shiny shield, along with NO shield on the base ring of the other 36 tube. Any idea why they did this? Maybe the chassis was shared with another updated model?

Attached Files Image(s)

Hmmmmmm....cool clock radio!

I have a model 80 clock I bought from Ron Ramirez. I will get you some photos of what mine looks like when I get home.

http://www.tuberadioland.com/philco80Jnr_main.html

It's like this.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

My 80 Jr. had the ring for a shield that was not there as well.  The other shield was the typical, not so bright color.