Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Transitone PT-95

Hi everyone, I am a new member of the Philco Phorum, and I am so glad I found this. I have recently begun to restore my grandfathers old PT-95 which has been sitting in my garage for years. All of the wiring is dry-rotted and cracking, but the tubes seem to be in decent shape. I am just wondering if anyone has done a restoration of one of these, or have any knowledge of them. This is my first restoration, and I am in need of some help. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy in these crazy times, and I appreciate any advice I can get!

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

You are very lucky that the white plastic bezel is in such good shape. They are often warped and misshaped. Take some time to read through some phorum threads to learn about restoration in general before you tackle your project. Here is a service bulletin for your model from our Philco Library: https://philcoradio.com/library/download...20Book.pdf

Here is some info on repairing/replacing that wiring: https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...2-philcos/

You will need to replace the electrolytic and paper capacitors along with out of spec resistors. Ask questions as you go along, folks will help you as you go.

Yes, to find a Tenite bezel in this condition is like winning a lottery....a small scratch 1,000 dollars one, but nonetheless.

Word of caution: do not try to powerup before full recap.
Also some of the radios of this era used asbestos between the chassis and the wooden shelf it rests upon, so though not to be freaked out, it requires respect.
And, the chassis of AA5 type do not have transformer and thus the circuitry is directly referenced to Mains voltage, creating electrocution hazard.
If intending to work on it, acquire an isolation transformer.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.
Photo 

That's a great find. Good luck with your restoration.

I'm working on restoring this model and I've found many of the black wires have cracked insulation. Philco used rubber insulated wiring back then and over the years the insulation cracks and can actually fall off. Those wires should be replaced.

The PT-95 I'm restoring was worked on previously and I'm seeing several issues with poor restoration technique.

Jack E.
MHZ-Radio
K4KSW

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome!  I just finished a partial refurbishment of a PT-94 which uses same schematic as the PT-95.  Mine had been well cared for and had all original components.  There was a single large dual electrolytic capacitor of 40 MFD and 40 MFD.  Schematic showed two 20 MFD electrolytics (items 26A and 26B) so I put in two 22 MFD ones.  I replaced the other paper/wax caps and several resistors that were out of tolerance on high side.  That included both resistor sections (items 27A and 27B) of the candohm resistor mounted to the chassis.  There was one paper/wax 0.2 MFD capacitor (item 5 condenser and coke assembly) that had black wiring coiled around one end.  There's no need to coil wire around a replacement cap unless you want to be historically accurate.  Also, if you want the loop antenna to work well, you need to heed the note at top left of schematic.  I didn't replace all the rubber insulated wiring.  Although it is brittle from age, it still looked intact.  I did have to replace two short segments when I took the candohm resistor out of circuit.  There's a schematic at http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...014176.pdf.  I also replaced the incandescent dial lamp with an LED and one tube that tested weak.

I have a short video posted on YouTube of my PT-94 (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaXbsZhmGaM).  Posted below is a photo of my chassis after refurbishing.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice job and nice radio, like taking candy from a baby! Paul

Tubetalk1