Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scott Philharmonic

Been playing this radio for many months now. It produced a bit of static periodically so i finally decided to see if I could find the cause. As mentioned previously, this radio had been worked on previously. I restuffed all of the original caps that remained, leaving several older Solar Sealdtite and a couple of Sprague Black Beauties that had been replaced many years ago. I replaced all of those. Unfortunately, I had nothing to restuff to make it look original. So now there are quite a few of the beauteous Chinese yellow caps under there! It has been playing for several hours now with no hint of static. Can't trust any cap (except mica) that's over a few decades old. I guess the the Solar company went out of business in about 1949, making the solar caps in this radio at least 60 years old. Evidently huge inventories at the time found their way into the inventory of parts suppliers and were being sold well into the '70's as new caps. Little doubt that is where these came from. All capacitors and a few resistors have now been changed in this radio.

Rob

Have you cleaned the tuning cap?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yes I did, Mike. No problem there. Still no static since I replaced the Solar's. I suspect that one of those or the Black Beauties were the culprits.