Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scott Philharmonic

I soaked the idler in brake fluid for a day (read about that on a forum) and the turntable now works.  It still slows during the automatic cycles but I don't have help it along anymore.  There is a stereo cartridge in the tone arm but it sounds horrible.  There is no indication of the manufacturer of the cartridge so hard to find a new needle.  I may see what cartridge I can find to be able to play LP's.  I hooked up a Dual with a magnetic cartridge and a phono pre.  It sound s pretty good!  I have a couple of extra turntables so that may be a more practical way of doing it.  Then again, I doubt the radio will be used that way so maybe it's not worth the effort!  Just leave the Garrard for looks.

Try doing a search on eBay for "crystal phono cartridge." I just did, and there are quite a few available. You may well find something that will fit in your tone arm.

Hi,
I have a Scott All Wave 23 in a Waverley cabinet with the Garrard RC88 /4 which is the similar to the RC98 that you have but without the turntable speed manual adjustment.  I have a GE  Variable Reluctance cartridge (and preamp).  The cartridge is mono and has two stylus.  1 for 78 and 1 for microgroove records.  I like it very much and sounds great on both 78 and mono microgroove. I actually have 2 identical Garrard changers.  The other one is in a mid 50's Fischer Electra.  Yes, would recommend the GE VR cartridge setup.

thanks!  I'll look it up. Does yours have the push down and turn stylus? What version of the GE cartridge do you have?

Hi,
The cartridge in the Scott Garrard is marked VRII. And yes, it is the "push down and turn" version with 2 styli (styluses?).

Thank you!!

For anyone who is working on, or very interested in E.H. Scott, or Scott Radio Labs receivers, I recommend you visit  https://ehscott.ning.com/ . They are a similar site to this one specializing in Scott receivers. I found them when looking for information on my SRLM using Duck Duck Go. Lots of good folks there who have experience with Scott receivers, just as the folks here specialize in Philco.

Oh oh!! I just let the smoke out of the Philly! It's been playing beautifully for days. Now I gotta put the 37-116 aside and figure out what happened.

A plate resistor on an 6J5 smoked. These are carbon resistors with a ceramic housing. There is a part of me that likes to replace all resistors for the sake of reliability.

I'm glad it wasn't more serious. When I read the word smoke, all sorts of unfortunate scenarios came to mind.

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

What blew my mind when it went was that the eye tubes went dark just before I saw the smoke. This, I don't think, could have caused that. So I am a little concerned that something else (solder flash) is in there causing a problem. It's been playing great again for many hours now.

Oh oh!!! Let us know what you find...

A beautiful radio and cabinet. Still looking for a cabinet for my original pointer Philharmonic from 1937. Thanks for sharing!

I've walked past this thing in a darkened room many times and I often wonder how many children were scared stiff of these twin-eyed monsters.

LOL, that is a bit menacing!

I don't hold with furniture that talks.