Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 86 Capacitor Can Clarification

Greetings!

I downloaded a schematic from Riders that did not indicate electrolytics in the capacitor can.  I later found another schematic on the Phorum site that indicated that they were indeed electrolytics.  What has me perplexed is that a famous you tuber  (Buzz1151) did a extensive restoration on the Philco 86 and decided to use some monster 630V film capacitors and his radio worked fine!   I want to do things properly, but am curious about the discrepancy of the two schematics.  The capacitors in question are 2 and 4 uf and if i understand basic theory, generally any value of 1 or higher would be electrolytic.   I am as adventurous as the next guy, and sparks and fire don't scare me, but I already have a push pull xfmr with an open primary, so I do not want to destroy anything else.  Any advice would be much appreciated. 

George

Hi George and welcome,
For this application use mylars as the ecaps won't survive the ripple current for long. The original caps were foil/paper.
GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Indeed! I and many others are using Solen brand film caps. The have up to 47 mfd at 630 volts. They are made in France and available from many suppliers. The bigger ones get a bit pricey! A 2.2 at 630 volts is $3.15 and a 4.7 is $5.20 at Antique Electronic Supply. They will probably never need to be replaced again. A tiny bit cheaper at the Tube Depot.

Sounds great!  Thank you both for the advice.

George.