Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Thorens TD124 restoration

A few years ago, like maybe 6 or so, I bought me a Thorens TD124.I knew it would need some TLC before it .
So, now that I have some time on my hands, I decided to tackle it.

I am not a turntable man, like Kirk.

This said, I knew the turntable made attempts to turn when I bought it.
Today I took the platter off.
Immediate ovservation: the motor runs fine. Big whew! Even if it needs some lube (perhaps), it is running.

Here is the idler in 78 rpm down to 33 rpm positions.

1) the idler has cracks

2) in the 16 rpm it does not touch the shaft, and then it will touch it when pushed.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The underbelly.

Also need to know a good place to get idlers.

One of the two setscrews on the hub that holds idler down refuses to come out.
Have tried PBlaster and heat.
No luck.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Should be a good player, here is where to check for idlers
https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/

They don't seem to have it.

Anyone knows this place?

https://www.schopper.ch/index.php?page=idler-wheel-new

$256.88 (at current exchange rate) for an idler wheel? Holy Cow! Icon_eek

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yeah....considering what a fully working Thorens TD124 goes for.....

Mike you might check Email V M and see if they can rebuild your idler.

> Yeah....considering what a fully working Thorens TD124 goes for.....

Too rich for me. Guess I'll have to stick with a Technics.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Mike

Who are Email V M?

The voice of music link above. Just thinking it might be worth emailing them to see if they could rebuild your idler wheel.
They usually respond fairly quick to email questions. I was hoping to save you some money and thought it's worth a try.

Mike

Thanks, I will write to them. Provided I can take that thing off Icon_smile

Nice turntable Mike Icon_thumbup

But like Ron, I'll have to stick with my Dual 1229 and maybe the Technics my late brother had and no one else wanted.  Although I've kept all my vinyl I seldom listen to them.... my old ears are perfectly fine with the (debatably) inferior CDs.

The last time I played a record was to make a CD of a Neil Young album (American Stars 'n Bars) that (at the time) had never been issued on a CD.  I drug my big receiver and turntable over to the PC and painstakingly recorded each track, and it turned out rather well.  Then I noticed a few months later the record company finally released it on CD.

None of this senseless rambling helps you get your Thorens working again, but that $250+ idler looks pretty nice, but you would think there would be more demand for them making the cost a little more reasonable.  Maybe you'll get more feedback at Audiokarma..... nevermind, I see you already posted over there.... good luck!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John

Yep, I am getting some good advice there on the AK.
Some advise rebuilding, some the aluminum one with the o-ring.
First oder of the day is to try to take it off. One set screw just doesn't budge.
I am dripping PB on it, every few hrs . In a couple of days I will try again as so far I am just damaging the screw.

Just called the Voice of Music.
They either send you the part from stock (rarely), which is someone's old re-rubbered part, IF you send them your old part, or you just send the old part and wait for it to be re-rubbered. Takes 4-5 weeks.
Quite ok, no rush. It has waited 6 years, will wait a few months more.

I take it you got the idler wheel 0ff?