Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 50-520 Fixing Silver Mica Disease

Hello,

Thank you for accepting me on this forum. I am new to radio restoration and need help with rewiring an IF can. On the Z300 IF can, I took out the mica caps and added 2 new mica caps under the chassis. Pretty straightforward. On Z301 IF can, there are 4 mica caps and 6 lugs. I removed the old mica and put the can back in place. I know I need a new cap across lugs 1 and 2 and one across lugs 3 and 4. On the other 2 caps, i have been told to put one from lug 2 to pin 7 of the 14B6 and another one from pin 7 to the volume control lug on the potentiometer.  My question is do I leave the wires that were attached to lugs 5 and 6 unattached? Also do I need to relocate R302 which goes from lug 2 to lug 6 on the can? I am not good yet at reading schematics and would like to make sure everything is attached to the correct physical location. Here is a link to the schematics: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013691.pdf

Thank you and I look forward to being a part of this forum!

Hi and welcome,
I would rewire it so that c-302c and d so that they external. This make life easier to sort. I'm not sure if these two cap are located w/the ones that have the migration issue. If it is then both need to be removed caps as there is some likelihood that maybe some electrical leakage. This can cause popping sounds and or the volume to play louder and softer all by it's self.
GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

All the caps were stacked together inside the can and I removed them all. The can is back in place and I just need to attach everything and put the new caps under the can.

Thank you,