Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newbie advice for a 41-603

Hi- I have been enjoying reading the forums and getting excited about starting something I got interested in last year: restomodding a Philco radio/phono I bought on eBay last year.

I bought this with the intention of gutting it, replacing the innards with a mini amp and speakers, an iPod connection and/or an Airport Express to stream music from my laptop.(Like a lot of us, I think I got into this because of an interest in OTR). I had some guilt pangs about gutting it, but it is probably a parts unit anyway- the phono portion is missing, and I am unsure if the radio works anyway. I am trying to evaluate this and figure out how to best go about this. For some reason, I have not been able to find a good, large , clear picture of this radio in original condition. The finish is beyond a simple polish- 0000 steel wool and wax reveal a mottled varnish, but reasonably OK wood.

Based on what I have read here, a Mohawk toner is the way to go. Perfect Brown? I will sand it 'til smooth first, of course, but am unsure of the best finish coat. I have done a fair amount of wood finishing, but mostly homebrew wipeon polys and shellacs. It looks like the ogee portion of the lid is an opaque brown-is this paint or opaque stain? The wood above and below dial indicator has a thin crack-is this best to fill or somehow try to glue and clamp?

The knobs are a mixture of types, and obviously unoriginal. Are these the proper knobs? http://www.antiqueradioknobs.com/images/4142knob.jpg

Obviously, refinishing will trash the label- how are those at tubesandmore.com?

I have been looking at lots of cloth samples online, but have not seen the one on this unit- a fine yellowish mesh with a series of thick(2-3mm) curly off-white "ropes" running horizontally through. Any suggestions?

All help is appreciated- I realize I will probably spend more than if I had found a used unit in good shape. I just figure this is about learning, and with the next one maybe I'll dive in to the electronics...

Hi Frank,

Welcome.

The drill with radio cabinets of that era is lacquer. The 'toner' (colored lacquer) is used for coloring and highlighting. There are two types. One is dye based which allows transparency for the grain to show through. The other is a pigment base which is fairly opaque - or becomes opaque after a few coats. Mohawk sells both.

Depends on the crack but frankly you're probably better off filling it. Old wood has gone where it wants to and clamp/glue may not hold up in the long run.

Have fun!

-Bill

In regards to stripping the old finish- last night I was on the phone with Uverse tech support, and absent-mindedly started scraping the finish on the top of the radio with a single edge razor. I was dragging it, just like you would use a scraper to smooth furniture before finishing. To my surprise the lacquer(?) which was "crusty" came of very nicely. I only worked on a small area, but the veneer underneath(walnut?) looks beautiful.

Obviously, this won't work well on the face, with its rounded over slots, and various ogees. What do the experienced here recommend as the safest stripper?

Also, in regards to my other questions, any advice on-
1) Fabric-I've looked at a lot online, but don't quite see one that seems to match
2) Knobs- I'm just not sure which are right for this unit, and close up pictures are lacking
3) Philco labels- are the ones from tubesandmore.com appropriate

I am looking at this restomod as kind of a warm up for one I've wanted to do for a while- a RCA Radiola circa 1929 that has been in my family since new. The cabinet is dirty, but polishes beautifully; the electrics are untested but intact. Unfortunately, it is without speaker; the paper cone on the original was near dust, and the aftermarket cabinet for the radio(the speaker was behind an apron in the cab) was falling apart, its legs falling off and its cheap veneer peeling like a sunburn.

Thanks for any help!